TC
Posted By
Tiffany_Christensen
Jun 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was just wondering how I can extract text from a document so that I can overlay it on a video in final cut pro. Is there a way to do this in elements 2.0?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 3, 2005
Tiffany,
Please be more specific. Are you trying to create a separate layer with the text on tranparent background, or something like that?
G
GrampaHugs
Jun 3, 2005
Hi Tiffany,
Open the image in PSE2.
Open the text in the appropriate program,
High light & copy the text you want to put on the image, Select the Text tool & click on the image around where you want to put the text this will open a text layer, make sure the text layer is selected in the layers pallet,
Edit paste will put the copied text on your image in the text layer.

Alex,
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 4, 2005
Alex,
Thanks for your method! I always wanted to know how to to this. Mark
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 4, 2005
Alex,

I’ve often said here that the only stupid question is the one unasked. Now I feel really stupid. I’ve put together several brochures and flyers for my wife’s various clubs and usually receive the copy in word or notepad or by email. I’ve been selecting and copying and then creating a new image from clipboard with much less than good results. Never even thought to paste into a text layer which gives spectacular results. The stupid part was that I never asked.

Thank you, Thank you! You’ve made my future projects a breeze.

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 4, 2005
FWIW, this technique works best with very small amounts of text. If you try it with, say a paragraph of text from Word, you may get one loooooooooong line and it’s almost impossible to reformat it. If that happens, just delete it and start typing from scratch. It’s much faster than trying to compel PE to reformat it correctly.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 4, 2005
Barbara,

Thanks for the warning. Without a spell check I’d be dead in the water for anything big. My final solution before was to get it correct in Word, print it best quality in the size I need, scan it into Elements with a very clean scanner and place as desired. Cumbersome but whatever works. 🙂

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 4, 2005
Hi, Bob. The disadvantage of scanning is that you have rasterized text, so you can’t resize it much without showing pixelation. If you enter the text in PE or copy it in, it’s still vector text till you simplify it.
G
GrampaHugs
Jun 5, 2005
Hi Bob & Mark,

If the question had been asked before the end of April I wouldn’t have had an answer. My youngest daughter was married April 06 & wanted me to put the names of the people on the images. She emailed the names of her new husbands family & I thought that a text layer would be the best way to position the names under the people. It worked.

Alex,
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 5, 2005
Barbara,

I found that out early in the process so I made sure the prints from Word were as close to the required size as possible, scanned at a matching resolution and then all I had to do was adjust position.

PE3 is not the best application for these kinds of projects but is the only one I have that let’s me take full advantage of borderless 8.5 x 11. Hopefully there won’t be too many of these. I’ve lost enough hair. 🙂

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections