How to precisely cut out object from photo and save with transparent background??

JA
Posted By
Jessie_Andringa
Oct 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am looking for the least time consuming way to "cut-out" a photographed object from its background in order to eliminate the background and make it transparent. I am in the process of designing a photo frame catalog for work. I have a few rounded frames that I have shot pics of, but now need to remove the background before inserting in the catalog. In the past, I have used the lasso tool and magic wand, etc…. However, for these circular frames, it is VERY DIFFICULT to create a round, precise path… and very time consuming! Would it be better to create a clipping path?? I need a refresher. Also, I generally save as a PNG since these preserve transparency best. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas, I’d really appreciate it!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AD
Andrei_Doubrovski
Oct 19, 2007
Hi Jessie,
Have you tried the Elliptical Marquee < http://simplephotoshop.com/photoshop_tools/elliptical_marque ef.htm>?
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 19, 2007
As you’ve shot the pictures of the frames with a cut-out in mind, you’ll have a clean plain background. Surely the Magic Wand or even the Background Eraser will be more than adequate in these circumstances?

Post an example at pixentral.com.
LL
Larry_Ligon
Oct 19, 2007
Once you have made a selection, you can use this script to create a new document from the selection. You can then save that new document as a PNG.

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=31

Larry Ligon
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Oct 23, 2007
Elliptical marquee…then Select>Transform Selection…You will get the transform handles…Adjust to taste, hit enter to confirm the transformation…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections