O
Posted By
otf70
Feb 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Photoshop is getting slower, could it be that I have too many pictures in my organization? What to do?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bob
Feb 28, 2008
"W. Wells" wrote in message
My Photoshop is getting slower, could it be that I have too many pictures in my organization?

No

What to do?

In the following order:
Run Disk Cleanup.
Run Defrag.
Run Check Disk.

Create a preventive maintenance plan for your computer
When people notice their computer’s performance slowing, the most common reason is the hard disk. Your computer’s hard disk is a non-removable area that holds all the information available from your computer. Over time, hard disks begin to lose their ability to store data efficiently.

Ideally, you should run these tools on the following schedule.

Disk Cleanup – Weekly

Defrag – Monthly

Check Disk – Weekly

See:
Optimize your computer for peak performance
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/optimize.mspx
L
leo
Feb 28, 2008

W. Wells wrote:
My Photoshop is getting slower, could it be that I have too many pictures in my organization? What to do?
organise your plugins, filters, etc.
if you have too many loaded at once, it will slow it down. also, if you do any heavy rendering on a slower processor?
B
Bob
Feb 28, 2008
"catchme" wrote in message
W. Wells wrote:
if you have too many loaded at once, it will slow it down. also, if you do any heavy rendering on a slower processor?

That may be true if the OP is has a large number of pictures open in Edit, but I don’t see how the number of pictures in the Organizer would have an impact on performance.
L
leo
Feb 29, 2008
Bob wrote:
W. Wells wrote:

That may be true if the OP is has a large number of pictures open in Edit, but I don’t see how the number of pictures in the Organizer would have an impact on performance.

im not suggesting that his first assumption is correct- instead suggesting other possible causes and their solutions.
plugins and fileters, if one has several installed at once, takes a while to load and may cause the app. to run slow….as does heavy, multi-layer rendering on a slower processing machine.
That we are given none of this information nor how much RAM he might have- leaves open a wide range of possible bottlenecks to figure. The Organiser may not be sufficient unless that it signifies the hard drive is in need of defrag….but then he would have issues with almost everything, and not just photoshop.
Thus, i think the Organiser may be ruled out.
B
Bob
Feb 29, 2008
Bob wrote:

im not suggesting that his first assumption is correct- instead suggesting other possible causes and their solutions.
plugins and fileters, if one has several installed at once, takes a while to load and may cause the app. to run slow….as does heavy, multi-layer rendering on a slower processing machine.
That we are given none of this information nor how much RAM he might have- leaves open a wide range of possible bottlenecks to figure. The Organiser may not be sufficient unless that it signifies the hard drive is in need of defrag….but then he would have issues with almost everything, and not just photoshop.
Thus, i think the Organiser may be ruled out.

Ok.
N
Nathan Gutman
Feb 29, 2008
Bob wrote:
My Photoshop is getting slower, could it be that I have too many pictures in my organization?

No

What to do?

In the following order:
Run Disk Cleanup.
Run Defrag.
Run Check Disk.

When people notice their computer’s performance slowing, the most common reason is the hard disk. Your computer’s hard disk is a non-removable area that holds all the information available from your computer. Over time, hard disks begin to lose their ability to store data efficiently.
Disk Cleanup – Weekly

Defrag – Monthly

Check Disk – Weekly

See:
Running WinXP. I found the Disk cleanup and defrag but where is Checkdisk?

Nathan Gutman
B
Bob
Feb 29, 2008
"Nathan Gutman" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

No

What to do?

In the following order:
Run Disk Cleanup.
Run Defrag.
Run Check Disk.

Disk Cleanup – Weekly

Defrag – Monthly

Check Disk – Weekly

See:
Running WinXP. I found the Disk cleanup and defrag but where is Checkdisk?

Nathan Gutman

Here you go Nathan.
Guided Help to check the hard disk for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections