Auto SmartFix without stacking versions?

N
Posted By
noone
May 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSE 6

I have a directory of photos I want to SmartFix in a batch, replacing the originals.

The only way I can figure out to do that is first add them to the catalog, then using the organizer select them all, and then running SmartFix on them all.

The problem is, that doesn’t replace the original. Whether I like it or not, it creates a new file, part of a version stack, for each photo fixed in the organizer.

So my original photo, IMG_2000.JPG is sitll there, and added to the directory is a IMG_2000_edited-1.JPG. This doubles the size of the directory and I now have to:

1) Delete every other file
2) Rename the "edited" files back to the original names
3) Purge the catalog of the stacks created for each one.

Flattening doesn’t help because that deletes the original and leaves me with the modified file name. I want to stick with the original name, and original file date/time.

I don’t want to use the catalog at all. Is there a way to do a batch SmartFix without using the organizer? The full editor does have a Process Multiple Files, but SmartFix isn’t one of the options.

Thanks,
Bruce.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Charley
May 5, 2008
Your original photos are basically like what negatives used to be, the master that you kept in case you ever wanted to go back and make a new print or enlargement of it. You should save all of your camera produced originals on a CD, just in case you want it again. No commercial photographer ever throws away his originals, and you shouldn’t either.

Charley

"Bruce." wrote in message
PSE 6

I have a directory of photos I want to SmartFix in a batch, replacing the originals.

The only way I can figure out to do that is first add them to the catalog, then using the organizer select them all, and then running SmartFix on
them
all.

The problem is, that doesn’t replace the original. Whether I like it or not, it creates a new file, part of a version stack, for each photo fixed
in
the organizer.

So my original photo, IMG_2000.JPG is sitll there, and added to the directory is a IMG_2000_edited-1.JPG. This doubles the size of the directory and I now have to:

1) Delete every other file
2) Rename the "edited" files back to the original names
3) Purge the catalog of the stacks created for each one.

Flattening doesn’t help because that deletes the original and leaves me
with
the modified file name. I want to stick with the original name, and original file date/time.

I don’t want to use the catalog at all. Is there a way to do a batch SmartFix without using the organizer? The full editor does have a Process Multiple Files, but SmartFix isn’t one of the options.

Thanks,
Bruce.

N
noone
May 6, 2008
"Charley" wrote in message
Your original photos are basically like what negatives used to be, the master that you kept in case you ever wanted to go back and make a new print
or enlargement of it. You should save all of your camera produced originals
on a CD, just in case you want it again. No commercial photographer ever throws away his originals, and you shouldn’t either.

I don’t. I back them up using multi-generation backup procedures. That’s why I don’t need or want Elements doing the same, but there seems no way to turn it off. As a result I spend half my time renaming files.

Bruce.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections