PSE6: Saving changes file format

Posted By
Jun 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

When I choose file/save after changing an original JPEG file from my camera (requiring creation of a layer (is this the term the English version uses?)), then PSE wants to save as PSD. As soon as I change back to JPEG it forces to save "as copy" thereby changing the file name.

I simply want save to save in the give format with the given file name. I would use save as otherwise. Any setting to achieve this?

pi

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Charley
Jun 15, 2008
"Boris ‘pi’ Piwinger" wrote in message
Hi!

When I choose file/save after changing an original JPEG file from my camera (requiring creation of a layer (is this the term the English version uses?)), then PSE wants to save as PSD. As soon as I change back to JPEG it forces to save "as copy" thereby changing the file name.

I simply want save to save in the give format with the given file name. I would use save as otherwise. Any setting to achieve this?

pi

Saving a Jpeg file on itself several times will result in a trashed photo because the jpeg format is lossy, meaning each time you save it more of the photo data is lost. You should always save your modified photo in a non-lossy format, preferrably one that saves layers like Psd as you may want to go back and modify it, change it’s size, etc. again at a later time. Then, if you really want a Jpeg copy of it for e-mailing, etc. you can make one from the Psd and still have the Psd "original" for future needs. Photoshop and Elements is designed to prevent you from accidentally saving your image as a Jpeg on top of itself for this reason.

Charley

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections