Posted By
FredFire
Apr 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

iΒ΄m getting familiar with PS CS3 Demo and what buffles me is the poor quality of the downsized view of large images. I loaded a 8 MP JPEG image from a digital camera and it looks good in 100%, but when i choose to view the whole image to fit the window (33,33% in my case), the resulting "downsampled" image is very jaggy and pixelated. I use a freeware image viewer called Xnview that gives me a far superior view when viewing large images downsized – i can even choose to select a "HQ" mode so those images get resampled to look better. It it normal that PS does not offer such a thing (or did i not see it?) and delivers such poor visual quality or is there something wrong with my PC?
Thanks for your help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 18, 2008
it’s been talked about a lot, but basically you’re seeing an approximation. the only reliable view is 100%. most pro photogs don’t want the approximation (although that’s what they’re getting anyway when they see those jaggies).

I agree it should be smooth like xnview or even windows pic & fax viewer.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 18, 2008
Though 6.735, 12.5, 25 and 50% views usually are OK too. "Image quality" is great, though sometimes deceivingly so. I guess I don’t understand sampling enough to tell you why 33% looks bad (rounding errors, I suppose). But 66% makes sense. You’re trying to stuff 3 pixels into the space of 2.

Dave, what are the advantages to these nearest neighbor views instead of bicubic (or even bi-linear). Just speed?

J
P
Phosphor
Apr 18, 2008
"Dave, what are the advantages to these nearest neighbor views instead of bicubic (or even bi-linear)."

Didn’t this debate just take place a month or so ago?

πŸ™‚
F
FredFire
Apr 18, 2008

Sorry if i missed something, feel free to point me to that thread. Thanks all for the response, at least i know that itΒ΄s not a faulty machine or graphics card …
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 19, 2008

yea, i want it to show a good approximation of what the image looks like at ANY zoom level, and the rest of you are just stubborn! πŸ˜›

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections