Batch Automation, can it create multiple folders?

L
Posted By
lark1000
Apr 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
using CS2…I know how to create actions and use the Batch Automation thing but not sure how or if this is possible…

I have a ton of folders in one folder. inside each folder are a bunch of TIF files. I want to create an action to run as a batch to open that TIF, convert it to JPG then save in a separate folder with the same name in another folder. Basically im duplicating what I have in one folder to another folder with one being the original TIFs and the new set being JPG, all in folders of the same names.

Basically I know how to do all of this except when I set up the batch, it seems to only allow the new JPGs to be saved in a single folder. It can pull all the TIFs using the "include subfolders" in the source section but only places the new/revised file into a single folder. If this makes and sense, can it be done?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Support
Apr 24, 2008
Hello,
Try "File > Scripts > Image Processor" (it creates subfolders automatically)
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 24, 2008
Do it from Bridge.

Bob
DR
Danny_Raphael
Apr 24, 2008
re: Try "File > Scripts > Image Processor" (it creates subfolders automatically).

IP creates subfolders by output format, e.g., \jpg, but does not mirror the input folder structure. IP does not have "include subfolder" capability. I don’t see this as an option.

re: Do it from Bridge

Files to be processed can be selected in Bridge, but help me understand how that solves the problem of saving them in a mirrored (not the original) folder tree?

————-

Lark: Post your question in the Adobe PS Scripting forum (see link above) or check out <http://www.ps-scripts.com>. Once upon a time scripts wizard Xbytor, who hangs out both places, crafted a Java script that I believe will solve your problem. If memory serves it works kind of like Image Processor in that you specify a source folder and action, and the script will create the mirrored folder tree into which it saves processed image files.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 24, 2008
Lark:

Bob’s undoubtedly right. You can do this from bridge. To mirror the structure you duplicate it, action it (from Bridge?) and then you’re done. To do it with Photoshop:

1. Duplicate structure ("Big folder" becomes "Big folder copy"). Save "Big folder" as backup.
2. Make an action by opening one of your pics, and then recording an action. Save as JPEG with the settings as you want. Stop recording. Close window and delete test JPEG.
3. Automate…batch. Use your new action. Source is folder "Big folder copy". Make sure to select "embedded folders". Don’t check anything else. Action is your new action. Destination is "Save and close" and make sure to check the "override save options" box.
4. Run it. Then you should be able to use Spotlight to search for all .tif files in folder "Big folder copy" and delete them from Spotlight.

I’m sure this is much slicker some other way (maybe even with image processor). But it works.

J
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 24, 2008
Lark:

Bob’s undoubtedly right. You can do this from bridge. To mirror the structure you duplicate it, action it (from Bridge?) and then you’re done. To do it with Photoshop:

1. Duplicate structure ("Big folder" becomes "Big folder copy"). Save "Big folder" as backup.
2. Make an action by opening one of your pics, and then recording an action. Save as JPEG with the settings as you want. Stop recording. Close window and delete test JPEG.
3. Automate…batch. Use your new action. Source is folder "Big folder copy". Make sure to select "embedded folders". Don’t check anything else in the source area. Destination is "Save and close" and make sure to check the "override save options" box.
4. Run it. Then you should be able to use Spotlight to search for all .tif files in folder "Big folder copy" and delete them from Spotlight.

I’m sure this is much slicker some other way (maybe even with image processor). But it works.

J
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 24, 2008
Wait…where am I??

Step four will need to be modified. Sorry.
S
Support
Apr 25, 2008
A simpler solution:
– Copy the source folder (with all the subfolders) to other location – In the Batch dialog, choose "Destination: Save and Close"
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 25, 2008
Hmmm.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections