DA
Posted By
dario adamic
Sep 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to know what the difference between 8 bits/channel and 16 bits/channel in the grayscale mode is? I’m scanning some images and when I try to use the paintbrush to correct some marks it tells me to convert them to the 8 bits/channel mode (from the 16 bits/channel) because otherwise the brush tool doesn’t work. What’s the difference between two modes? Does it reflect on the quality of the image? I need these scans for an art book, so I’m really concerned about the quality. Anyone?
thanx a lot!

adam

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
Sep 15, 2003
Adam,

Your images will have to be converted to 8-bit at some point – 16-bit/channel images cannot be printed, and can record many 100’s of times more tones than can either be printed or recognized by the human eye. In the case of a greyscale print, a 16-bit image will carry 65536 levels of black, but printing as greyscale only 256 levels are available. A 16-bit file is actually displayed at 8-bit on your monitor, so you will not see a difference within Photoshop.

B&W art printing typically uses duotomes rathr than straight greyscale as this allows a better density in the shadow areas and an increased range of tones.

The ‘normal’ sequence is to scan at 16-bit, do level and curve adjustments and then convert to 8-bit for furthr manipulation. Rumour has it that the soon_to_be_released Version 8 will allow for much more to be done in 16-bit
DA
dario adamic
Sep 15, 2003
Thanx a lot! That was really a great and detailed answer. Much appreciated!

adam
RH
r_harvey
Sep 16, 2003
There’s also a good thread on the Mac side about 8-bit Versus 16-bit <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.2ccd6ed3/16>.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 16, 2003
You’re welcome, Adam

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections