RB
Posted By
Robert_Barnett
Nov 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, I just hooked up my old Bamboo tablet (the medium size) and downloaded the new drivers. The reports of issues with the pen tablet are well founded. For me I have several issues…

1. If you press to hard on the pen you get this animated ring and then a brush adjustment dialog pops up. I hate this thing but can’t figure out how to turn it off. If this is supposed to be useful it isn’t at least not for me, it is so annoying. I don’t know if this is a Photoshop thing or a Wacom thing but I hate it. If anyone knows of a way to turn this off please let me know.

2. The brush is very choppy when you are painting, etc. What I have noticed however is that as you paint even if you never pull the pen from the tablet surface Photoshop is creating dozens of history states as it does this Photoshop must be doing something with memory or scratch space because it is during the rapid creation of history states that it causes the pen to pause making it seem choppy. I have no idea why Adobe would set it up this way. When I create a single stroke no matter how much area I cover that should be one history state and not dozens.

I hope Adobe fixes these problems soon (asumming that number 1 is an Adobe thing, otherwise I will contact Wacom about that one) I don’t know why but it seems with each major release Adobe breaks the pen tablet support in some way or another. Until number 2 is fixed the pen is next to useless.

Robert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, after some playing around I have found that both issues 1 and 2 go away if you turn of pen flicks. I am guessing that this is a Windows Vista thing. Once I turn that off the animated circle and annoying popup doesn’t show up and a single brush stroke only shows as one entry in the history palette and the choppy brush goes away. I turned this off by right clicking on the pen flicks icon in the notification are of the Windows task bar. Both turning pen flicks off and removing the icon (removing the icon is optional) you should also be able to turn this off from an option in the control panel deadling with pens.

I hope this helps someone,

Robert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections