J
Posted By
JFF
Mar 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know where the f’ing help file has been hidden?

Using the extremely poor search feature returns no link. Now there’s a surprise…

Why do we have to look for it? There’s no manual, pamphlet, nothing..

Note to Adobe: NOT everyone wants to be connected to the internet to access help. What a bunch of bone heads you guys are…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 15, 2009
go to Help->Photoshop Help and in the webpage that loads look in the right hand side for a "Photoshop Help PDF (printable)" link
DE
David_E_Crawford
Mar 15, 2009
mmmmmmmm……. Good morning to you too sunshine. Your knocking at the wrong door. This is a user to user forum. Not Adobe.
DS
Dennis_S
Mar 15, 2009
Here is a thread with previous ranting and raving along with several work-arounds:

Buko, "Where is Photoshop CS4 Help???" #1, 28 Nov 2008 2:44 pm </webx?14/0>
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 15, 2009
Choosing Help > Photoshop Help or pressing F1 takes you to <http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshop/>, the portal page for Photoshop Community Help. On that page, click the Photoshop Help (web) link at the top of the right nav to go to Photoshop web help, or type a search term in the search field to search all of community help.

To go directly to Photoshop web help, which is kept up-to-date, bookmark <http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/>. You can also search only Adobe documentation from this page and all Help pages.

If you’re offline, pressing F1 takes you to the in-product help that shipped with the software, which is no longer up to date. To default to going to in-product help, you need to go offline in Photoshop. Instructions for doing so are in the Product Help topic at < http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WS2BE9B3A7-44AF-4 d86-AC08-912E2D9F1ECB.html>.

For more info on Community Help, including ways to use it effectively, read the comments at <http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/>, or read the Help and Support topic at < http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WS2BE9B3A7-44AF-4 d86-AC08-912E2D9F1ECB.html>.
J
JFF
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks all. Yet another help fiasco, just like LR..
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Mar 15, 2009
Yet another help fiasco

At least the above people were:

1. Able to find help on their own.
2. Transfer that to you.

At least the "boneheads" here could do that.

Rob
J
JFF
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks for the information Josh.

The following is not directed at you…..

I believe about 1/10 of what Adobe says; and I’m asserting that’s not cynical but absolutely realistic. Like all companies these days, they’re doing what’s good for them and spinning the result to the customer.

Regarding the "keeping it up to date" nonsense, that’s more than a little disingenuous on Adobe’s part. If you think about it, they’ve only issued 1 update to the software for the past, hmmmm, what is it now, 5 releases? Let’s see, 6 had 1, I think 7 had one, and we can say that CS-CS3 had one each, and now CS4 is all done.

Just how many changes to the help file are required? Oh yeah, one… Maybe not even that since the updates are 99% bug fixing…
J
JFF
Mar 15, 2009
Yes, I was able to find it too. Doesn’t that disappoint you?
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 15, 2009
but the thing is, the online documentation actually gets updated now. If you find a mistake in the documentation and post about it, it will get noticed by those that wrote/maintain the documentation and it will get updated
J
JFF
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks Zeno,

Having something up to date that changes frequently is great, but in this case there’s no real need for it… As I said in a previous message, they don’t really make changes to the help file often, if ever.

Updating help files that can be downloaded and installed is easy and most of us that have developed commercial software know it. There’s something else going on that they don’t want to talk about, like what’s good for them……
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 15, 2009
I can assure you that they do indeed make changes to it often, I’ve got a couple of posts there and they did change the documentation when I’ve posted mistakes in the documentation or small tips("often" being in under a month after you post)
J
JFF
Mar 15, 2009
I want to thanks those of you that constructively answered my question. I do appreciate the help.
BC
Bart_Cross
Mar 15, 2009
Just remember that the PDF will not necessarily contain the latest information.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
kinda stupid not to include a help file. what is going on over at headquarters?!!
DE
David_E_Crawford
Mar 16, 2009
They are loading Easter Eggs
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 16, 2009
dave

They did include Help

Did you read my boilerplate text in #4?
P
Phosphor
Mar 16, 2009
OP was looking for help from Josh.

He must have missed your message, J.J.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
Did you read my boilerplate text in #4?

nobody reads post #4 john. <tsk>

If you’re offline, pressing F1 takes you to the in-product help that shipped with the software, which is no longer up to date

ok… then to adobe…

"Help is not as complete or up-to-date as online product Help, Adobe recommends that you use the PDF version of product Help if you want to stay offline.

not as "up to date" i can handle, but "not complete" is … not right.

A downloadable PDF of complete product Help is available from two places"

why not just include that? duh! stupid corporate.
BC
Bart_Cross
Mar 16, 2009
dave: you’ve been a real cranky …. the last few posts.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
sorry man. i’ll work on that. 🙂

just keepin it real.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
seriously though, if no one steps up and tells a company, "hey, this is stupid, i don’t like it." how are they ever going to know that a certain percentage of it customers don’t like something they’re doing? they’ll just assume all is good and keep on the path that pisses you off.

will it change anything? maybe. but for SURE nothing at all will change unless we tell them what we like and don’t like.

iow, i b&tch about em, because i care. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
(at least my wife tells me that’s how i know she loves me!) %D
P
Phosphor
Mar 16, 2009
The spanking is love.

%D

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections