Posted By
jeffspam
Jun 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’ve made a plugin in C++ for Photoshop 6.0 using the SDK. I would like the user to be able to start it by pressing a single key (e.g. F5). After browsing Photoshop documentation it seems that the only way to do this would be to call it in an action and then I can assign a shortcut key to the action.

I know there are all kinds of ways you can go about making your plugin appear in the action palette when you use it, but that’s not what I need. I am fine with creating an action, recording, going to "Insert Menu Item…" and selecting my plugin from File->Automate->My Plugin.

The only problem is that when I click okay, it doesn’t add the menu item to the action. I’ve tried doing the same thing with other automation plugins (e.g. File->Automate->Listener) and it puts it in there fine. What do I have to add to my plugin for this to be possible. It seems like Photoshop should just be able to run the menu item with no help from me. I’m confused. Please help. Thanks!!!

Jeff Bowen

P.S. The plugin is based off of the example plugin from the sample folder in the SDK so it should be good to go you would think.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris Cox
Jun 20, 2004
If the plugin didn’t return a descriptor, then it’s name would still be recorded in Actions.

If it returns a valid descriptor, then the name and the contents of the descriptor would record in actions.

So the only possibility left is that you’re returning a bad descriptor (check the code AND the terminology resource).

Chris

In article , jefferbo
wrote:

Hi,

I’ve made a plugin in C++ for Photoshop 6.0 using the SDK. I would like the user to be able to start it by pressing a single key (e.g. F5). After browsing Photoshop documentation it seems that the only way to do this would be to call it in an action and then I can assign a shortcut key to the action.

I know there are all kinds of ways you can go about making your plugin appear in the action palette when you use it, but that’s not what I need. I am fine with creating an action, recording, going to "Insert Menu Item…" and selecting my plugin from File->Automate->My Plugin.
The only problem is that when I click okay, it doesn’t add the menu item to the action. I’ve tried doing the same thing with other automation plugins (e.g. File->Automate->Listener) and it puts it in there fine. What do I have to add to my plugin for this to be possible. It seems like Photoshop should just be able to run the menu item with no help from me. I’m confused. Please help. Thanks!!!
Jeff Bowen

P.S. The plugin is based off of the example plugin from the sample folder in the SDK so it should be good to go you would think.
J
jeffspam
Jun 21, 2004
That was it Chris! Thanks for the tip!

Jeff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections