Photoshop CS rant (was Re: Why are people upset about activation?)

A
Posted By
awilson42
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Activation isn’t the thing which annoys me most, oddly. I’m already used to having to activate a lot of my stuff. It’s *annoying* – but a lot of industry standard software has already required activation for a long time.

What annoys me is how often it seems to accompany programs which have had "upgrades" which are nothing less than lame. For example, Poser 5 added a lot of new security features, but it’s even slower and clunkier than its predecessor, and its "improvements" (such as the hair room) aren’t even worth upgrading, in my opinion.

The thing which makes me angriest about the new Photoshop is, in fact, the changed copyright laws – my understanding is that it is now illegal to use screenshots in personal work, or to write about Adobe products without their permission.

As a designer, I got my very best help from on-line tutorials generated by people like you and me – the fanbase of Adobe’s dedicated users. By the time the "hot tips" come out in book form from Adobe’s handpicked authors, these special effects are already "dated".

As a technical writer, one way I generated portfolio work was to write my own tutorials about my favorite products, including Photoshop.

Adobe has completely thrown a wrench in the works for me – I used to be a very dedicated "evangelist" with my own ambitions of one day writing a book about Photoshop.

But, since Adobe has cut off all but a small group of handpicked people – forget it.

This may have always been the case, but if it was previously, I wasn’t aware of it.

I’m so disillusioned now, I can’t tell you.

I have no intentions at this point of buying CS – somebody give me *one* good reason I should. I took a look at some of the new books out for CS, and I can’t find one effect that I don’t already know how to replicate in 5.5, 6, 7…

Even with 7, the only thing really great about it as far as I can see are the liquify tool (great tool, IMO – it was worth upgrading from 6 for), and the brush controls – but it’s still far inferior to Painter in terms of brush control and painterly effects. It’s not great enough to make me give up Painter for fine art type projects.

The "Healing Brush" and "Patch" tools are useless to me, anyway. I already knew how to get these effects.

Would *somebody* give me one good reason I should upgrade to CS?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
erimies
Nov 28, 2003
On 27 Nov 2003 19:56:14 -0800, (Andreia Wilson)
posted:

Activation isn’t the thing which annoys me most, oddly. I’m already used to having to activate a lot of my stuff. It’s *annoying* – but a lot of industry standard software has already required activation for a long time.

What annoys me is how often it seems to accompany programs which have had "upgrades" which are nothing less than lame. For example, Poser 5 added a lot of new security features, but it’s even slower and clunkier than its predecessor, and its "improvements" (such as the hair room) aren’t even worth upgrading, in my opinion.

The thing which makes me angriest about the new Photoshop is, in fact, the changed copyright laws – my understanding is that it is now illegal to use screenshots in personal work, or to write about Adobe products without their permission.

As a designer, I got my very best help from on-line tutorials generated by people like you and me – the fanbase of Adobe’s dedicated users. By the time the "hot tips" come out in book form from Adobe’s handpicked authors, these special effects are already "dated".
As a technical writer, one way I generated portfolio work was to write my own tutorials about my favorite products, including Photoshop.
Adobe has completely thrown a wrench in the works for me – I used to be a very dedicated "evangelist" with my own ambitions of one day writing a book about Photoshop.

But, since Adobe has cut off all but a small group of handpicked people – forget it.

This may have always been the case, but if it was previously, I wasn’t aware of it.

I have no intentions at this point of buying CS – somebody give me *one* good reason I should. I took a look at some of the new books out for CS, and I can’t find one effect that I don’t already know how to replicate in 5.5, 6, 7…

Even with 7, the only thing really great about it as far as I can see are the liquify tool (great tool, IMO – it was worth upgrading from 6 for), and the brush controls – but it’s still far inferior to Painter in terms of brush control and painterly effects. It’s not great enough to make me give up Painter for fine art type projects.

The "Healing Brush" and "Patch" tools are useless to me, anyway. I already knew how to get these effects.

if too many people thought that way, adobe folds as a going concern. that means no more photoshop. is that what you really want?
B
Bernie
Nov 28, 2003
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 06:17:51 GMT, (someone) wrote:

if too many people thought that way, adobe folds as a going concern. that means no more photoshop. is that what you really want?

After this latest stunt, I couldn’t give a flying f***
E
eowilson
Nov 28, 2003

I’ve been reading all of the comments here about CS and have come to this conclusion:
I LOVE PS 7. No doubt about it. Upgrade? I don’t think so. The "activation" is something we all live with in a variety of software that we buy and I don’t think that is going to go away. But "upgrading" a product with no real advantages, and charging more than it’s worth is not my idea of a good deal. And to insulate one’s thinking from the larger customer base in favor of a select few acolytes (if that, in fact is what they are doing) will only lead to product degradation. Oh, well. Enterprising and creative people always finds ways to work around obstructionists.

—-== Posted via Newsfeed.Com – Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==—- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups —= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers – Total Privacy via Encryption =—
BD
Bob Davis
Nov 28, 2003
"someone" wrote in message

They’ll abandon activation before they allow themselves to fold.
T
thebookdoc
Nov 28, 2003
It is sad that activation seems to be getting in the way because I think it is the first upgrade that has been worth the bucks in years! 16-bit support, large files, and other power enhancements really do pose a valuable upgrade for power users.

Why is it so good? See what the experts say;
http://bermangraphics.com/press/photoshopcs.htm

Photoshop CS is a recommended upgrade, find what you need for yourself (gifts?):
Photoshop CS (Full license)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DBOAX/newwriting / Photoshop CS (Upgrade)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DBOBZ/newwriting /

Adobe CS Premium Suite:
PC Full version:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DBN6M/newwriting / PC Upgrade:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DBNDJ/newwriting / Mac Full:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DBN4H/newwriting / Mac Upgrade:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DBNCT/newwriting /

I have it and have been using it…unlike PS6 (shape layers and enhanced vector handling) and PS7 (um, the healing brush? workspaces), I don’t find myself looking back.

As far as using screen shots, I would be curious as to where you saw what you did in the licensing. I would assume something like that has been there for a long time. I believe all it is for is to allow Adobe to step in when they think something is an offensive or unjust use and shut it down. I know only of one instance where this happened, and I believe it was because the site was posting some rather awful images. I think ANY serious attempt to document the software or make it easier to use it NOT the type of thing Adobe will come down on. Personally I have not directly sought permission from Adobe for using screen shots, and have published them in books and magazines. I am pretty sure this will not make me liable for use fees…on the other hand I would not go around posing like you are someone related to Adobe creating tutorials — no matter how good. You might see where that can lead to trouble. You might simply need to attribute the screens to Adobe as designer.

If there were ever any litigation of this sort, it would be suicide for Adobe. Publishers would get out of publishing Photoshop materials pretty quickly, I would think. That snippet you read is not likely to be intended the way you have interpreted.

Richard Lynch
author, The Hidden Power of Photoshop CS
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782142559/newwriting / The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782141781/newwriting / http://hiddenelements.com
http://ps6.com
E
erimies
Nov 29, 2003
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:26:12 -0600, "Bob Davis" posted:

they wouldn’t fold. longhorn is incompatible with win 9x and win nt/xp series. so when that is released, realistically, most people will migrate to the new platform, after all the new computer comes with it. then ps7 will no longer run. the only choice, ps activation version that will be sold then.
H
Hecate
Nov 29, 2003
On 27 Nov 2003 19:56:14 -0800, (Andreia
Wilson) wrote:

because Adobe need the money?

😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
PJ
Paul J Gans
Nov 29, 2003
someone wrote:

posted:

Whoa! That’s like arguing that the serfs need to be nice to the lord and pay their extra taxes or he’ll have apoplexy and die.

If Adobe goes under there will be a replacement for Photoshop on the market within a year. Don’t forget that the code for Photoshop is a major asset of Adobe’s and it is worth big money.

—- Paul J. Gans
PJ
Paul J Gans
Nov 29, 2003
someone wrote:

they wouldn’t fold. longhorn is incompatible with win 9x and win nt/xp series. so when that is released, realistically, most people will migrate to the new platform, after all the new computer comes with it. then ps7 will no longer run. the only choice, ps activation version that will be sold then.

If that is true about Longhorn, very few people will buy it. Right now many Win9x programs will run on XP. If no current programs will run on Longhorn…

—- Paul J. Gans
R
RTM
Nov 29, 2003
Andreia Wilson wrote in message
snip<

Ah well, there goes the newsgroup.
(and most of the others that deal with art/graphic design/photography etc etc etc)

Ron.
V
Voivod
Nov 29, 2003
scribbled:

The thing which makes me angriest about the new Photoshop is, in fact, the changed copyright laws

Since when could private companies change laws?
They can put anything they want in their agreement
but a lot of it would never hold water in a courtroom.
E
erimies
Nov 29, 2003
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:52:33 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
posted:

someone wrote:

posted:

Whoa! That’s like arguing that the serfs need to be nice to the lord and pay their extra taxes or he’ll have apoplexy and die.

oddly, that is the message the media’s presenting in the current depression: "be thankful you have a job, and pass the vaseline"

If Adobe goes under there will be a replacement for Photoshop on the market within a year. Don’t forget that the code for Photoshop is a major asset of Adobe’s and it is worth big money.

if this replacement code exists, why aren’t they muscling in on adobe’s turf now that they’ve pissed us off with activation?

—- Paul J. Gans
E
erimies
Nov 29, 2003
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:03:54 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
posted:

someone wrote:

If that is true about Longhorn, very few people will buy it. Right now many Win9x programs will run on XP. If no current programs will run on Longhorn…

isn’t that similar with win9x vs win 3.x? 32bit code vs 16bit. the advertised performance gains and improved system stability will encourage users to toss their 32bit aps in time.

—- Paul J. Gans
H
Hecate
Nov 30, 2003
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:31:20 GMT, (someone) wrote:

Longhorn isn;’t incompatible with XP. the difference is that one is a 32 bit OS, the other is a 64 bit OS. The problem with running software is the processor not the OS. Longhorn can run 32 bit apps without any trouble. However, a lot of the benefits of 64 bit computing won’t occur if you do. OTOH, the problem will come if you buy Intel. The new Athlon 64 bit processor happily runs 32 bit apps and was deliberately designed to do so. Indeed, it was designed so well that it apparently runs 32 bit apps at 15-25% faster than a 32 bit processor.

The proposed Intel 64 bit processor won’t. That’s because the instruction sets are different. Intel has elected to not include instruction sets for running 32 bit software. So your solution is to run AMD Athlon, not Intel. You then upgrade to 64 bit apps at your leisure.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
R
RTM
Nov 30, 2003
You say that like it was a bad thing.
Look at it this way:
Photoshop has evolved to a point where there is not really very much left to be added to it. Another one or two minor upgrades and thats pretty much it.

Several of Photoshops main competitors, while they may not have ALL the features of PS, aren’t actually ‘so far’ behind, and almost all of them are more competitive pricewise.

If Adobe folded tomorrow I doubt it would be very long before there was at least 3 or 4 replacements available, (after all, all those displaced Adobe staff would be looking for work somewhere, most likely with companies working in a similar field). Plus those users with non-activated versions would be able to continue using them indefinitely. Only newcomers may have a problem obtaining a copy.

Amateur users who don’t need all the pro features of PS would barely (if at all) notice the change. Pros would learn to work round the short-comings as they did in the past.

Ron.

someone wrote in message
PJ
Paul J Gans
Dec 1, 2003
someone wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:52:33 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
posted:

[snip]

if this replacement code exists, why aren’t they muscling in on adobe’s turf now that they’ve pissed us off with activation?

No no. You misunderstand. *Adobe’s* source code is a
major asset. It doesn’t vanish if Adobe decides to go
out of business. It is a valuable asset and will be
sold or taken over by someone else if Adobe is liquidated.

I’d not worry about Adobe going under just yet. And my point was that I’d also not worry about Photoshop vanishing.

—- Paul J. Gans
PJ
Paul J Gans
Dec 1, 2003
someone wrote:

posted:

someone wrote:

isn’t that similar with win9x vs win 3.x? 32bit code vs 16bit. the advertised performance gains and improved system stability will encourage users to toss their 32bit aps in time.

Yes, the switch from 3.x was a major trauma. But much software did run. The reason was that the underlying operating system did not change. It was DOS for 3.x and it was DOS for Win95. And Microsoft did include compatability software.

—- Paul J. Gans
E
erimies
Dec 1, 2003
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 03:17:31 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
posted:

someone wrote:

posted:

someone wrote:

Yes, the switch from 3.x was a major trauma. But much software did run. The reason was that the underlying operating system did not change. It was DOS for 3.x and it was DOS for Win95. And Microsoft did include compatability software.

iirc, 16bit software and drivers were the whipping boys for system instability in windows 9x. nonethelesss, I am pleased with the progress in affordable computing. it just means that I am much closer to owning a supercomputer of my very own to hug and kiss and heheheh, I’ve been watching too much pinky and the brain.

—- Paul J. Gans
PJ
Paul J Gans
Dec 3, 2003
someone wrote:

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 03:17:31 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
posted:

someone wrote:

posted:

someone wrote:

iirc, 16bit software and drivers were the whipping boys for system instability in windows 9x. nonethelesss, I am pleased with the progress in affordable computing. it just means that I am much closer to owning a supercomputer of my very own to hug and kiss and heheheh, I’ve been watching too much pinky and the brain.

Almost any decent PC these days is a former supercomputer.

—- Paul J. Gans

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections