PF
Posted By
Paul Furman
Dec 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes if I try to launch a file from a Win2k explorer window or from Irfanview’s "launch in external program" PS 5.5 will fire up but not open the file. I can then use file > open within PS. It seems this might be a memory issue. It’s pretty common. Any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PF
Paul Furman
Dec 8, 2003
Someone emailed me off list with this comment:
———————
I’m using Win Xp, but I suspect Win 2k functions in a similar fashion. If this is true, the you need to ‘associate’ the image file type (jpg, gif, etc.) with Photoshop. They are probably ‘associated’ with Irfanview right now.
———————

I have Irfanview associated as the default application intentionally but I should still be able to launch directly from explorer by right clicking "open with > Photoshop". This works about 2/3 of the time. Usually it seems to fail if I have a lot of other windows and applications open and memory is no longer abundant.

Paul Furman wrote:

Sometimes if I try to launch a file from a Win2k explorer window or from Irfanview’s "launch in external program" PS 5.5 will fire up but not open the file. I can then use file > open within PS. It seems this might be a memory issue. It’s pretty common. Any ideas?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections