GH
Posted By
Gisle Hannemyr
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The Kodak DCS 460 is not among the formats officially supported by the embedded RAW converter in Photoshop CS – but it works. Just click on the thumbnail of the DCS 460 RAW file in the file browser, and up pops the RAW converter.

[It is, AFAIK, the /only/ way to convert these files in this day and age. Kodak’s RAW own converter, that came with the camera, won’t run on Win/XP (and would require you to keep an antique running Win/95 around).]

With the camera, Kodak supplied a "calibration file" which was individual to each camera (mine is named "460-2899.CAL", where 460-2899 is the S/N of my camera. Kodak’s RAW converter will not even start unless this file is present – and the camera documentation makes a big point of saying that without this calibration file, conversion from RAW to TIFF will be poor.

Still, the RAW converter in PS CS seems to do a pretty decent job of converting these files to TIFF /without/ the CAL file being present.

Still, I keep thinking that maybe it would do an even better job /with/ the calibration file. There is, however, no mention of this in the Adobe documentation (hardly surprising – since the DCS 460 RAW format is not even on the list of supported formats).

Q1: Is the RAW converter is PS CS capable of making use of the "calibration" file for a Kodak DCS 460 camera?

If – yes, then:

Q2: Where do I place the "calibration" file so that PS CS sees it?

I’ve tried to put it in the Plug-Ins/Import-Export folder. However, I haven’t noticed any change (i.e. the pictures converted after I installed the CAL look just like they did when I converted them without a CAL file there).

In "Advanced" mode, the PS CS RAW converter has a tab called "Calibrate". It has seven sliders. They were all at zero before I installed the calibration-file – and they’re still at zero after (I assumed that installing the calibration-file, these would change to reflect whatever info there was in the calibration-file).

Q3: Is there a way to check that the PS CS RAW converter actually read the CAL file?

[Unfortunately, there seem to be no documentation about the RAW converter supplied with PS CS, so I don’t really know what the "Calibrate" tab is supposed to do. Any pointers to more documentation will be appreciated.]

– gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no – http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ] ============================================================ ============ «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris Cox
Aug 9, 2004
There are several "unofficially" supported cameras – and the Kodak 4** cameras are on the unofficial list.

Yes, it might work better with the CAL file – if Kodak supplied full documentation about the file format (which I don’t believe they’ve done).

Your best source for additional information is the user to user forum on Adobe’s web site. There is a sub forum on the Camera RAW plugin.

Chris

In article , Gisle Hannemyr
<gisle+> wrote:

The Kodak DCS 460 is not among the formats officially supported by the embedded RAW converter in Photoshop CS – but it works. Just click on the thumbnail of the DCS 460 RAW file in the file browser, and up pops the RAW converter.

[It is, AFAIK, the /only/ way to convert these files in this day and age. Kodak’s RAW own converter, that came with the camera, won’t run on Win/XP (and would require you to keep an antique running Win/95 around).]

With the camera, Kodak supplied a "calibration file" which was individual to each camera (mine is named "460-2899.CAL", where 460-2899 is the S/N of my camera. Kodak’s RAW converter will not even start unless this file is present – and the camera documentation makes a big point of saying that without this calibration file, conversion from RAW to TIFF will be poor.

Still, the RAW converter in PS CS seems to do a pretty decent job of converting these files to TIFF /without/ the CAL file being present.
Still, I keep thinking that maybe it would do an even better job /with/ the calibration file. There is, however, no mention of this in the Adobe documentation (hardly surprising – since the DCS 460 RAW format is not even on the list of supported formats).

Q1: Is the RAW converter is PS CS capable of making use of the "calibration" file for a Kodak DCS 460 camera?
If – yes, then:

Q2: Where do I place the "calibration" file so that PS CS sees it?

I’ve tried to put it in the Plug-Ins/Import-Export folder. However, I haven’t noticed any change (i.e. the pictures converted after I installed the CAL look just like they did when I converted them without a CAL file there).

In "Advanced" mode, the PS CS RAW converter has a tab called "Calibrate". It has seven sliders. They were all at zero before I installed the calibration-file – and they’re still at zero after (I assumed that installing the calibration-file, these would change to reflect whatever info there was in the calibration-file).
Q3: Is there a way to check that the PS CS RAW converter actually read the CAL file?

[Unfortunately, there seem to be no documentation about the RAW converter supplied with PS CS, so I don’t really know what the "Calibrate" tab is supposed to do. Any pointers to more documentation will be appreciated.]
GH
Gisle Hannemyr
Aug 10, 2004
Chris Cox writes:
Your best source for additional information is the user to user forum on Adobe’s web site. There is a sub forum on the Camera RAW plugin.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
I got a timely and authoritative answer from one of the Adobe reps frequenting the ACR forum.

(For those who want to know: The answer was that ACR doesn’t know how to make use of the Kodak CAL file.)

– gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no – http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ] ============================================================ ============ «To live outside the law, you must be honest.» (Bob Dylan)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections