BB
Posted By
Bill_Brammer
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a color negative scan that is a 64MB TIFF file. I crop and edit it and it turns into about 54MB. Then I need it to be 1.75in x 2.25in and print in the middle of a 4×6 sheet, so I turn the canvas size to 4×6, leaving the smaller image in the middle of the canvas. When I do this, the file size turns into 260MB. That doesn’t make sense, nor can my camera store print a file that large. Help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Oct 8, 2003
Bill,

An image 1.75" x 2.25" should be about 664Kbyte ONLY.

You need to re-size the image from Image>Image Size with re-sampling ON and a resolution of 240 ppi to 300 ppi.

You will probably need to apply some Unsharp masking following the re-sampling
JJ
Jay_Jhabrix
Oct 8, 2003
wrote :
I have a color negative scan that is a 64MB TIFF file. I crop and edit it and it turns into about 54MB. Then I need it to be 1.75in x 2.25in and print in the middle of a 4×6 sheet, so I turn the canvas size to 4×6, leaving the smaller image in the middle of the canvas. When I do this, the file size turns into 260MB. That doesn’t make sense, nor can my camera store print a file that large. Help!

Bill check the resolution… chances are it was scanned at a higher dpi than you actually need eg… 4000 or 2000 dpi… and that’s the size you’re working in…. so, when you increase the canvas to 6x4in it’s 6 x X dpi by 4 x Xdpi. Therefore… You need to reduce the dpi of the image….

The other possibility is that your image was scanned in 16 bits per channel colour and you haven’t reduced it to 8 bits per channel. In which case, reduce the bit depth to 8bits per channel.

Cheers…

JJ
BB
Bill_Brammer
Oct 8, 2003
I need to print this and give it to the camera store to print. The Yearbook staff will then take the print and use it for the yearbook. I don’t know what they’re doing with it, but probably scanning it. They won’t take a digital image. What resolution should I use for that?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 8, 2003
Then I need it to be 1.75in x 2.25in and print in the middle of a 4×6 sheet… I turn the canvas size to 4×6, leaving the smaller image in the middle of the canvas.

either print the 1.75×2.25 image to a regular sheet and trim by hand, or set the paper size to 4×6 and print the 1.75×2.25 with image centered (print w/preview). your problem is you’re adding all that blank area to the image’s actual size and that’s causing the file size to grow accordingly.
dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections