Posted By
joereed6
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me the best technique to use for making closed eyes look open,

plus, is it possible to give someone a slight smile.(the shots arn’t close ups)

Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Aug 8, 2004
joe wrote:

Ask Leonardo Da Vinci.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
NE
no_email
Aug 8, 2004
On 8 Aug 2004 12:38:12 -0700, (joe) wrote:

Thanks,

Joe
This will probably not help you now, but in the future shoot a few frames of the group, one right after another, then you can more easilly paste open eyes from one frame over the closed ones on another. Short of that, nothing will make them look realistic.
DF
Derek Fountain
Aug 9, 2004
joe wrote:

You can’t. Photoshop can’t miraculously work out what someone’s eyes look like and produce the pixels! You need to paste in the eyes from elsewhere, ideally another photo of the same person under similar lighting conditions.

Yes, the liquify filter can do that by turning up the corners of the mouth. Don’t overdo it though; if the person’s eyes aren’t smiling and the mouth is, the effect looks really odd.
N
noone
Aug 9, 2004
In article ,
com says…
Can anyone tell me the best technique to use for making closed eyes look
open,
plus, is it possible to give someone a slight smile.(the shots arn’t close
ups)

Thanks,

Joe

Gawd! I’m starting to sound a bit like a "broken record." (Most of you are probably not old enough to know what that means, but in the dark-ages of sound recording, a broken, or heavily damaged vinyl disc, containing recorded audio material, would skip at the break and replay the previous groove, ad infinitum.)

Anyway, yes, to a certain extent, you can do this. The replys listing the idea of having some images with open eyes, and variations of a smile are good ones, if you can get them. That is the best resolution to the problem, but not always available. Ben Wilmore, Photoshop CS Studio Techniques, Adobe Press, covers these two fixes. The Liquify Tool is the one of choice, and a subtle use of it is highly recommended. He also covers cosmetic surgery techniques in the same chapter. I do not know if these are covered on his Web site, www. digitalmastery.com, but think the cosmetic surgery proceedures might be, as they are part of his current live presentation. Otherwise, his book gives quite a bit of space to the technique.

Dang, I wish I’d had this Tool years ago, when after shooting a governor for an add, we discovered that in all shots, his eyes were closed, all of them! I had to hunt through thousands of "people shots," to find eyes that resembled his, in an open state, and Paste and blend (long before the Healing Brush) to make his open. He would have squealed, if he had known whose eyes I used, but the production group was sworn to secrecy. Ah, those dark-ages… back when there were vinyl discs with recorded audio :-}

Hunt

Hunt
FB
Frederic Banaszak
Aug 9, 2004

Unless you are an artist there is not much you can do with closed eyes. Your best bet is to copy them from another picture of the person. I’ve also had some luck copying eyes from another person in a picture, usually a sibling, as they often have similar eyes.

You could try the Liquify filter, but be careful with it. If you overdo it, the picture will not look normal.
CN
Chuck Norris
Aug 10, 2004
If you want to make them look freaky, copy a cat’s eye… Cool effect, for those who have not tried it. I look like an honest to goodness ninja. Who was crossbred with a kitty. And had really good hair. Not that ninja’s don’t have good hair, I think I have good hair. But that really doesn’t matter in this case, as that’s not really a Photoshop topic. Unless it was a topic on how to get hair look like mine, aka awesome. Then it would be valid.
I need some coffee.

Thanks,

Joe

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections