R
Posted By
Richard
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, how do I make an image transparent. Right now it has a white background but I don’t want any background. I know it has to do with layers but can somebody get me started?

Thanks

Richard

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
Davin
Dec 16, 2003
Hello All,
One way out of a multitude would be:
Selecting the entire image and copying it.
create new document – make sure you have transparent background selected in the bottom of the new window that pops up for image size etc. then paste your image into the new file – when you erase your background -you are left with the original transparent background. if you subsequently flatten the image – you will have a white background again.

Regards,
Davin
www.davin-photography.com

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi, how do I make an image transparent. Right now it has a white
background
but I don’t want any background. I know it has to do with layers but can somebody get me started?

Thanks

Richard

P
phstuken
Dec 16, 2003
background
but I don’t want any background. I know it has to do with layers but can somebody get me started?

Thanks
Dobbelclick the background layer (make it a normal layer),,,on layer pallet drag it to the "delete layer" icon.
h
R
Richard
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks for responding, the problem is that there is only one layer on the image. The image itself on top of a white background. So when I copy the image I also copy the background but the background is not separated from the image.

Richard

"Davin" skrev i meddelandet
Hello All,
create new document – make sure you have transparent background selected
in
the bottom of the new window that pops up for image size etc. then paste your image into the new file – when you erase your background -you are left with the original transparent background. if you subsequently flatten the image – you will have a white background again.

Regards,
Davin

background

Thanks

Richard

R
Richard
Dec 16, 2003
There is no background layer, the image and the background is one layer.

Richard

"P.H. Stuken" skrev i meddelandet
background

Thanks
Dobbelclick the background layer (make it a normal layer),,,on layer
pallet
drag it to the "delete layer" icon.
h

GP
Glenn Pechacek
Dec 16, 2003
You either erase the background or extract the portion of the image you want. See PhotoShop help file-> search on "extract".

background

Thanks

Richard

P
phstuken
Dec 17, 2003
There is no background layer, the image and the background is one layer.
Richard

Hum, first dobble-click backgroud layer and make it a normal layer, then use one of the many selction-tools and mark the area you want to remove, hit the delete-key. Example here, use the magic wand to select the white area,,, delete,,,, and the area is transparent.
h
D
Davin
Dec 17, 2003
Hello All,

I am aware of that – there is no way to make the background transparent without you doing some work – there is nothing which will automatically do it.
As stated:
In order to have a transparent background – you need to start of with one. when you copy your image to be edited onto the new transparent file you will have
2 layers – the background being transparent – when you work on your layer you wish
to edit – if you use the eraser tool – it will erase your working layer to reveal the transparent layer below – thus removing your background of the original photo
to one that is transparent.

Regards,
Davin

Thanks for responding, the problem is that there is only one layer on the image. The image itself on top of a white background. So when I copy the image I also copy the background but the background is not separated from the image.

Richard

"Davin" skrev i meddelandet
Hello All,
create new document – make sure you have transparent background selected
in
the bottom of the new window that pops up for image size etc. then paste your image into the new file – when you erase your background -you are left with the original transparent background. if you subsequently flatten the image – you will have a white background again.

Regards,
Davin

background
but I don’t want any background. I know it has to do with layers but
can
somebody get me started?

Thanks

Richard

L
larrybud2002
Dec 19, 2003
"Davin" …
Hello All,

I am aware of that – there is no way to make the background transparent without you doing some work – there is nothing which will automatically do it.

Actually there is if, as the OP noted, the background is white.

Search for

EliminateWhite plugin.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections