Paste As New Image

Search   Help    Register    Login   Home
Mon, 03 October 2005 12:19 Go to next message
Chris (Photoshop expert)
Hello,

I am using Photoshop 7 under Wiundows XP and had previously been using
Paint Shop Pro. So far I am finding the applications very comparable
and not having much issue moving from PSP to Photoshop. One feature I
am looking for and have not been able to find is the ability to have
something in the clipboard and then paste it as a new image.

A simple example would be to take a snapshot of the active Window
(ALT-PRINT SCREEN). With the active window in memory, I open Photoshop
to paste the image currently in the clipboard as a new image in
Photoshop. Unfortunately, there is no paste option unless I open a new
image and then I have to mess around with cropping and such instead of
having a perfectly sized image.

I struggle similarly if I want to take 'pieces' of an existing image,
without cropping the original. For example, I have an image of an
application, but want to copy the toolbar out and paste it as a
separate image. Then I might want to copy the status bar as a new
image, etc. It is very easy to use the Marquee tool to mark and copy
segments, but not to paste them as a new image.

Since PSP and Photoshop are so similar, I am sure there is a way to do
this, but I have not been able to find it. I have found several work
arounds, but they are definitely more work then just hitting CTRL-C and
then CTRL-V. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would
be most grateful.

Thanks,

Chris
Mon, 03 October 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John (Photoshop expert)
"Chris" <cleonti@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
news:1128356362.428199.242830@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am using Photoshop 7 under Wiundows XP and had previously been using
> Paint Shop Pro. So far I am finding the applications very comparable
> and not having much issue moving from PSP to Photoshop. One feature I
> am looking for and have not been able to find is the ability to have
> something in the clipboard and then paste it as a new image.
>
> A simple example would be to take a snapshot of the active Window
> (ALT-PRINT SCREEN). With the active window in memory, I open Photoshop
> to paste the image currently in the clipboard as a new image in
> Photoshop. Unfortunately, there is no paste option unless I open a new
> image and then I have to mess around with cropping and such instead of
> having a perfectly sized image.
>
> I struggle similarly if I want to take 'pieces' of an existing image,
> without cropping the original. For example, I have an image of an
> application, but want to copy the toolbar out and paste it as a
> separate image. Then I might want to copy the status bar as a new
> image, etc. It is very easy to use the Marquee tool to mark and copy
> segments, but not to paste them as a new image.
>
> Since PSP and Photoshop are so similar, I am sure there is a way to do
> this, but I have not been able to find it. I have found several work
> arounds, but they are definitely more work then just hitting CTRL-C and
> then CTRL-V. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would
> be most grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
You need to do one extra stage. Copy your image data onto the clipboard as
usual (CTRL-C). Then go into Photoshop and type CTRL-N (i.e. File|New).
Accept the default image size which comes up - this corresponds to what is
on the clipboard. Then paste the clipboard as usual.

--
John
Replace 'nospam' with 'todnet' when replying.
Mon, 03 October 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edjh (Photoshop expert)
Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Photoshop 7 under Wiundows XP and had previously been using
> Paint Shop Pro. So far I am finding the applications very comparable
> and not having much issue moving from PSP to Photoshop. One feature I
> am looking for and have not been able to find is the ability to have
> something in the clipboard and then paste it as a new image.
>
> A simple example would be to take a snapshot of the active Window
> (ALT-PRINT SCREEN). With the active window in memory, I open Photoshop
> to paste the image currently in the clipboard as a new image in
> Photoshop. Unfortunately, there is no paste option unless I open a new
> image and then I have to mess around with cropping and such instead of
> having a perfectly sized image.

Not so. Your new document should always be exactly the correct size.
>
> I struggle similarly if I want to take 'pieces' of an existing image,
> without cropping the original. For example, I have an image of an
> application, but want to copy the toolbar out and paste it as a
> separate image. Then I might want to copy the status bar as a new
> image, etc. It is very easy to use the Marquee tool to mark and copy
> segments, but not to paste them as a new image.
>
> Since PSP and Photoshop are so similar, I am sure there is a way to do
> this, but I have not been able to find it. I have found several work
> arounds, but they are definitely more work then just hitting CTRL-C and
> then CTRL-V. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would
> be most grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-N, Ctrl-V.

--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
Mon, 03 October 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ana Pereira (Photoshop begginer)
Hi Chris...I am doing the same trip. I've found the way to do it yesterday,
it's more complicated in PS.
I am a little lost, having to find all the commands in menus and learning
some new keyboard combinations.

--
Ana Pereira

http://anapereira.no.sapo.pt

"Chris" <cleonti@hawaii.rr.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:1128356362.428199.242830@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am using Photoshop 7 under Wiundows XP and had previously been using
> Paint Shop Pro. So far I am finding the applications very comparable
> and not having much issue moving from PSP to Photoshop. One feature I
> am looking for and have not been able to find is the ability to have
> something in the clipboard and then paste it as a new image.
>
> A simple example would be to take a snapshot of the active Window
> (ALT-PRINT SCREEN). With the active window in memory, I open Photoshop
> to paste the image currently in the clipboard as a new image in
> Photoshop. Unfortunately, there is no paste option unless I open a new
> image and then I have to mess around with cropping and such instead of
> having a perfectly sized image.
>
> I struggle similarly if I want to take 'pieces' of an existing image,
> without cropping the original. For example, I have an image of an
> application, but want to copy the toolbar out and paste it as a
> separate image. Then I might want to copy the status bar as a new
> image, etc. It is very easy to use the Marquee tool to mark and copy
> segments, but not to paste them as a new image.
>
> Since PSP and Photoshop are so similar, I am sure there is a way to do
> this, but I have not been able to find it. I have found several work
> arounds, but they are definitely more work then just hitting CTRL-C and
> then CTRL-V. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would
> be most grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
>
Mon, 03 October 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tick (Photoshop begginer)
I've used Photoshop since version 5 was out.. so if you've got any
other questions like this, just gimme a shout and I'll do my best to
helo out :)
Tue, 04 October 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edjh (Photoshop expert)
Ana Pereira wrote:
> Hi Chris...I am doing the same trip. I've found the way to do it yesterday,
> it's more complicated in PS.
> I am a little lost, having to find all the commands in menus and learning
> some new keyboard combinations.
>
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-N, Ctrl-V is pretty standard stuff in most programs.

--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
Tue, 04 October 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris (Photoshop expert)
Thanks for the help. While the different commands are common in the
Windows world, it is an extra step over PSP (CTRL-C, then CTRL-V) which
is why I was looking for what would hopefully be a little simpler
solution. It is definitely not as painful as I originally thought and
is very doable.

Thanks again for everyones help,

Chris
Tue, 04 October 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KatWoman (Photoshop expert)
"Chris" <cleonti@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
news:1128439600.835049.256780@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for the help. While the different commands are common in the
> Windows world, it is an extra step over PSP (CTRL-C, then CTRL-V) which
> is why I was looking for what would hopefully be a little simpler
> solution. It is definitely not as painful as I originally thought and
> is very doable.
>
> Thanks again for everyones help,
>
> Chris


the default paste in PS goes to a new layer not a new document as that is
how most of us need to use it most of the time.
whatever you copy to the clipboard when you go to file >new it is already
sized to the thing u copied. If you need it cropped do it before you copy
it. If you are doing a lot of screen caps it makes sense to download a
proggie that lets you marquee a selection not just the entire screen.
Tue, 04 October 2005 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edjh (Photoshop expert)
Chris wrote:
> Thanks for the help. While the different commands are common in the
> Windows world, it is an extra step over PSP (CTRL-C, then CTRL-V) which
> is why I was looking for what would hopefully be a little simpler
> solution. It is definitely not as painful as I originally thought and
> is very doable.
>
> Thanks again for everyones help,
>
> Chris
>
Never having used PSP I have to ask. What do you do if you want to paste
into the current open document????

--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
Wed, 05 October 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris (Photoshop expert)
Thanks again for everyone's great comments. In PSP, you can do CTRL-V
for a new layer in the existing document and CTRL-E or CTRL-SHIFT-E
(forget which off the top of my head) for a new document. It is nice
to skip a couple steps (CTRL-C, CTRL-E vs CTRL-C, CTRL-N, ENTER,
CTRL-V), but not the end of the world for a keyboard junkie like
myself.

I am doing both screen caps and editing/cropping of existing images. I
have never really felt the need for a special program for screen caps
since I typically need the active window and not segments of the active
window. For the rare times I need a screen segment, I am fine with
cropping or copying/pasting the segment I need. As an FYI for those
interested, ALT-PRINT SCREEN captures the active window while PRINT
SCREEN captures the entire screen.

Thanks again for all the input,

Chris
Sun, 16 October 2005 22:08 Go to previous message
Jason Warren (Photoshop begginer)
In article <Fnz0f.628$ZY2.612@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
JolieXPrincessXKatanaXXX@hotmail.com says...
> If you are doing a lot of screen caps it makes sense to download a
> proggie that lets you marquee a selection not just the entire screen.
>

alt-PrintScreen will copy just (all of) the active window, not the whole
screen.

--
reverse my name in email address
Create a new topic Submit Reply
Goto Forum:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop techniques & help
Photoshop for Windows
Photoshop for Mac
Technical questions

Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop Elements