The Best Way To Create A Graphic Of A Signature?

Search   Help    Register    Login   Home
Wed, 05 October 2005 08:50 Go to next message
matthew.n.connors (Photoshop begginer)
I have a PDF document. On it I need to place a graphic of an
"authorized signature".

The question I have is - What is the easiest way to get the graphic of
the signature?

Should I have the authorized user sign a piece of paper then scan it in
and use Photoshop to "extract" the signature? Is using the Lasso tool
the best way to isolate the signature? (I'm a newbie to Photoshop)

Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks,
Matt
Wed, 05 October 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edjh (Photoshop expert)
matthew.n.connors@lmco.com wrote:
> I have a PDF document. On it I need to place a graphic of an
> "authorized signature".
>
> The question I have is - What is the easiest way to get the graphic of
> the signature?
>
> Should I have the authorized user sign a piece of paper then scan it in

That is a good start.

> and use Photoshop to "extract" the signature?

No, there are easier and more accurate ways. One is to simply Ctrl-click
on the composite (RGB) channel and inverse (Ctrl-Shift-I)the selection
you get. Then fill the selection (Alt-Delete)with black on a new layer
and trash the original.

Is using the Lasso tool
> the best way to isolate the signature?

No. The less you use the lasso tool the better. Use it for quick, crude
selections only. There are better selection tools in Photoshop.

(I'm a newbie to Photoshop)
>
> Is there a better way to go about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>


--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
Wed, 05 October 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edjh (Photoshop expert)
edjh wrote:
> matthew.n.connors@lmco.com wrote:
>
>> I have a PDF document. On it I need to place a graphic of an
>> "authorized signature".
>>
>> The question I have is - What is the easiest way to get the graphic of
>> the signature?
>>
>> Should I have the authorized user sign a piece of paper then scan it in
>
>
> That is a good start.
>
>> and use Photoshop to "extract" the signature?
>

NOTE: There is a specific tool in Photoshop called "Extract". When I
said no, I meant don't use that tool for this. Of course you SHOULD use
Photoshop.


--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
Wed, 05 October 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tacit[1] (Photoshop expert)
In article <1128516620.386950.324190@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
matthew.n.connors@lmco.com wrote:

> I have a PDF document. On it I need to place a graphic of an
> "authorized signature".
>
> The question I have is - What is the easiest way to get the graphic of
> the signature?
>
> Should I have the authorized user sign a piece of paper then scan it...

Yes.

> in
> and use Photoshop to "extract" the signature?

There is no need to "extract" it. Scan it as a bitmap (your scanner
software may call this "line art" mode), not as RGB or CMYK. Scan it at
high resolution; 600 dpi or better works well. It will look jaggy on
your computer screen. Ignore this. Save it as a TIFF. It will be
transparent--no need to use layers or to extract or select it--and it
will print smoothly and cleanly.

Anything that is line art should generally be scanned as a bitmap.

--
Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Wed, 05 October 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Morton (Photoshop expert)
matthew.n.connors@ wrote:
> The question I have is - What is the easiest way to get the graphic of
> the signature?
>
> Should I have the authorized user sign a piece of paper then scan it
> in and use Photoshop to "extract" the signature? Is using the Lasso
> tool the best way to isolate the signature? (I'm a newbie to
> Photoshop)
>
> Is there a better way to go about this?

Do you know anyone with a graphics tablet? Using one of those, the signature
could be input directly into Photoshop with the freeform pen tool. It's a
bit difficult to write a signature with a mouse.

Andrew
Wed, 05 October 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike (Photoshop expert)
In article <1128516620.386950.324190@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, matthew.n.connors@lmco.com says...
> I have a PDF document. On it I need to place a graphic of an
> "authorized signature".
>
> The question I have is - What is the easiest way to get the graphic of
> the signature?
>
> Should I have the authorized user sign a piece of paper then scan it in
> and use Photoshop to "extract" the signature? Is using the Lasso tool
> the best way to isolate the signature? (I'm a newbie to Photoshop)
>
> Is there a better way to go about this?
>
This should be fine - a fine-tipped felt pen will probably provide the best source for scanning.

Mike
Sat, 08 October 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cartman (Photoshop begginer)
If your signature scan is dark on a clean light background, create a
duplicate layer and change its mode to multiply. Turn off the background
layer view and clean up any unwanted spots etc if you need to, on the
multiply layer.

You should then be able to drag this layer on to your document (scaling as
required) before creating PDF and it should match the 'paper' colour
without any square border.
Wed, 02 November 2005 21:40 Go to previous message
Constance Pierce (Photoshop begginer)
If you have Illustrator, the best way,m in MHO would be to trace the
signature in Illus. You can even have Illus trace it for you. That way,
it would be a vector image, exportable as a raster image, yet still
scalable without losing quality. Too, it would be transparent natively.

In article <Xns96E98F31E1794cartmansouthparkcouk@194.117.143.37>,
Cartman <shep@rockdahouse.co.uk> wrote:

> If your signature scan is dark on a clean light background, create a
> duplicate layer and change its mode to multiply. Turn off the background
> layer view and clean up any unwanted spots etc if you need to, on the
> multiply layer.
>
> You should then be able to drag this layer on to your document (scaling as
> required) before creating PDF and it should match the 'paper' colour
> without any square border.

--
Constance Pierce
principal/designer
info@pierceillus.com

"you can't polish a turd."
Create a new topic Submit Reply
Goto Forum:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop techniques & help
Photoshop for Windows
Photoshop for Mac
Technical questions

Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop Elements