Actions, Scripts, or Visual Basic?

Search   Help    Register    Login   Home
Wed, 26 October 2005 16:25 Go to next message
you know who maybe (Photoshop begginer)
I've got CS2 on Windows and would like advise on which way to go for
automation. Either stick with inflexible actions, do scripts or VisualBasic.
At least I think those are all my options. I think what I want is pretty
straightforward.

For event shooting I often submit the same 100-300 photos to different
clients who want different sizes and quality of JPEG and some need varying
copyright text in the bottom corner and some do not want any. In CS1 I had
actions for each client which is a pain. My actions do not work in CS2 and
it's kinda my off-season so now is the time for change.

I'd rather I had a way to open a script in notepad and change the resize
values and text data to suit. In a perfect world I would record all steps as
an action but then be able to edit the action by right-clicking on the
resize step and changing the values, right-click the text step and change
the values, etc

My typical flow is to shoot raw, download all cards to their own folders (so
I only have a few hundred at the most in one folder), use Bridge to flag
selects, use camera raw with multiple files to make adjustments, and then
run the action.

Besides resizing and the text, the only other thing I would add is unsharp
mask, and it would be nice to be able to vary that setting, too, depending
on the resize values.

As I said, in a perfect world the actions would be easily editable, or would
let me export it as a script I can edit. I tried opening one of my *.ATN
files with notepad it wasn't pretty!

Now I head/read there are some issues with scripts and camera raw with CS2,
but I have no clue if my low level of automation complexity would be
impacted by this "design flaw in Bridge" as someone called it.

As for my own experience,. I've been using Elements since version 1, CS for
about six months, and just bought CS2. The Web Page Gallery wizard in
Elements 2 has always been great for me to do all this except for the USM,
but other limitations are I can't set a size larger than 800 pixels, and it
does not read RAW files. I'm done some batch file writing over the years but
never did any programming, like C or VB.

Many thanks for reading!
Thu, 27 October 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saswss (Advanced Photoshop user)
In article <11lvphj7781hl58@news.supernews.com>,
"you know who maybe" <kilbyfan@spammenotAOL.com> writes:
> ...
> My typical flow is to shoot raw, download all cards to their own folders (so
> I only have a few hundred at the most in one folder), use Bridge to flag
> selects, use camera raw with multiple files to make adjustments, and then
> run the action.
>
> Besides resizing and the text, the only other thing I would add is unsharp
> mask, and it would be nice to be able to vary that setting, too, depending
> on the resize values.
>
> As I said, in a perfect world the actions would be easily editable, or would
> let me export it as a script I can edit. I tried opening one of my *.ATN
> files with notepad it wasn't pretty!
>
> Now I head/read there are some issues with scripts and camera raw with CS2,
> but I have no clue if my low level of automation complexity would be
> impacted by this "design flaw in Bridge" as someone called it.

With CS the answer is easy: write a script using Javascript, VBscript,
or Visual Basic. Scripts are much easier to edit than actions, and
with Javascript or Visual Basic you can write a simple GUI to make
it easier to change the settings that you often have to change.

But with CS2, I would urge you to go to the Adobe web site, find the
forum for Photoshop scripting, and ask what is feasible to do from
the Bridge.


--

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here
saswss@unx.sas.com SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
Thu, 27 October 2005 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you know who maybe (Photoshop begginer)
>
> With CS the answer is easy: write a script using Javascript, VBscript,
> or Visual Basic. Scripts are much easier to edit than actions, and
> with Javascript or Visual Basic you can write a simple GUI to make
> it easier to change the settings that you often have to change.
>
> But with CS2, I would urge you to go to the Adobe web site, find the
> forum for Photoshop scripting, and ask what is feasible to do from
> the Bridge.
>

Thank you, Warren!
Fri, 28 October 2005 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you know who maybe (Photoshop begginer)
"you know who maybe" <kilbyfan@spammenotAOL.com> wrote in message
news:11m2n0u3gc5ko6e@news.supernews.com...
>
>>
>> With CS the answer is easy: write a script using Javascript, VBscript,
>> or Visual Basic. Scripts are much easier to edit than actions, and
>> with Javascript or Visual Basic you can write a simple GUI to make
>> it easier to change the settings that you often have to change.
>>
>> But with CS2, I would urge you to go to the Adobe web site, find the
>> forum for Photoshop scripting, and ask what is feasible to do from
>> the Bridge.
>>

Wow, those forums are mess. I can only guess they are easier to use on a
Mac. :-) Why everyone just doesn't use USENET I don't understand.
Sun, 30 October 2005 22:48 Go to previous message
Jerry McEwen (Photoshop begginer)
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:50:22 -0700, "you know who maybe"
<kilbyfan@spammenotAOL.com> wrote:

>Wow, those forums are mess. I can only guess they are easier to use on a
>Mac. :-) Why everyone just doesn't use USENET I don't understand.

I hear you. I read those forums on both Mac and PC and due to what
software is available, I prefer using Windows with Agent. The
newsreader selection for Mac just isn't there.
Create a new topic Submit Reply
Goto Forum:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop techniques & help
Photoshop for Windows
Photoshop for Mac
Technical questions

Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop Elements