help with sky area in picture

Search   Help    Register    Login   Home
Sat, 29 October 2005 08:33 Go to next message
Scudo (Photoshop begginer)
Only just realising when I got back home the pictures I had taken for my
website have an overcast sky, I should have waited til the sun came out.
Anyhow what is the best way to `turn the sky blue`
It is a smallish section (about 10% of pic) but does contain a tree on one
side ,so not all straight edges.
I do have other pictures that I can `copy` the sky from
Previously I have just used the clone stamp for this type of thing but I
dont know how to deal with the `tree` area

As you can probably tell my knowledge of photoshop is limited (version 6.0)

help appreciated
Sat, 29 October 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trial Run (Photoshop begginer)
I am new also, but what if you used the selection tool, play with the
tolerance to select the tree and then you can clone around the tree as
the clone will not go inside the selected area?
You might need to inverse...or not....I always get confused which way I
need to go until I try it!!
Sat, 29 October 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flo Nelson (Photoshop expert)
"Trial Run" <legacy64@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1130599666.925383.160750@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I am new also, but what if you used the selection tool, play with the
> tolerance to select the tree and then you can clone around the tree as
> the clone will not go inside the selected area?
> You might need to inverse...or not....I always get confused which way I
> need to go until I try it!!
>

You can also just erase once you have a selection. Put the sky image on a
layer underneath and the sky will show through. I usually find I have to
adjust the sky layer (or the original layer or both) in various ways to make
it blend with the original picture.

Flo
Sun, 30 October 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
m.golner (Advanced Photoshop user)
Scudo wrote:
> Only just realising when I got back home the pictures I had taken for my
> website have an overcast sky, I should have waited til the sun came out.
> Anyhow what is the best way to `turn the sky blue`
> It is a smallish section (about 10% of pic) but does contain a tree on one
> side ,so not all straight edges.
> I do have other pictures that I can `copy` the sky from
> Previously I have just used the clone stamp for this type of thing but I
> dont know how to deal with the `tree` area
>
> As you can probably tell my knowledge of photoshop is limited (version 6.0)
>
> help appreciated
>
>
I've always hads trouble doing this kind of thing using selections.
When I zoom to 100%, there are always artifacts around the leaves of the
tree.

Here's another approach which I've had very good success with, assuming
your sky is lighter than the sky you want to create, and the tree/leaves
are darker. In this case, use a gradient fill with the blending mode
set to darken.

Start by making a rough selection of the sky, including all of those
little pieces poking through the tree. You just want to make sure that
you have excluded any areas in the non-sky portion that are lighter than
the sky you will be creating. Set a foreground color you want for the
top of the sky, and a background color you want for the low sky, at the
horizon. Then select the gradient tool, select the linear option, and
set the mode to darken. Click (and hold) at the top of your shot (high
sky, and drag a vertical line to the horizon, then release, and you
should have a reasonable sky. Mess with different colors for the sky as
you wish. As a final step, you may wish to add a slight bit of gaussian
blur to the sky (use select color range, or the magic wand tool) to
avoid the plastic look. HTH.
Sun, 30 October 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
m.golner (Advanced Photoshop user)
As a final step, you may wish to add a slight bit of gaussian
> blur to the sky (use select color range, or the magic wand tool) to
> avoid the plastic look.

Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean gaussian blur. Instead, add noise (from the
filter menu, noise, add noise). Click the gaussian distribution button,
and experiment with maybe .5% to 1%. Again, sorry.
Sun, 30 October 2005 16:55 Go to previous message
Scudo (Photoshop begginer)
Thanks guys I will try your suggestions and see how it goes

appreciated

"Mike G." <m.golner@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:zpidndGVyZA9YPneRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> As a final step, you may wish to add a slight bit of gaussian
> > blur to the sky (use select color range, or the magic wand tool) to
> > avoid the plastic look.
>
> Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean gaussian blur. Instead, add noise (from the
> filter menu, noise, add noise). Click the gaussian distribution button,
> and experiment with maybe .5% to 1%. Again, sorry.
Create a new topic Submit Reply
Goto Forum:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop techniques & help
Photoshop for Windows
Photoshop for Mac
Technical questions

Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop Elements