Help with transparency (please help a newbie)

CA
Posted By
chinthaka_amarasinghe
Oct 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
suppose I wanted to get rid of a text in a transparent picture, how would I do that? To be specific, I am trying to change the text of a AIM buddy icon, and I want to get rid of the text below without getting rid of the transparency of the icon. How would I do this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ED
Emma_d_Anise
Oct 16, 2003
Hm…I’m not familiar with the icon of which you speak. How did you obtain the image? When you open the image in Photoshop, is the background transparent? That is, are you seeing a grey and white checkerboard around the logo? If you copied it from your browser window you’ll probably have to manually create all of your transparency in which case you can just delete (select and hit "delete") all appropriate areas of the image (including the text). You can also use your eraser tool or even mask out said areas, but I’d suggest the first two options if you’re new to PS. Where you see the checkerboard (after you erase or delete) will be the transparent images if you save it as a gif and allow transparency. Hope that helps.

~Em
HD
hot_denim
Oct 17, 2003
use (one of the) the ERASER tools or select the area and CUT it out. Both will replace the pixels with transparency.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections