Transparent GIF image shows up with a gray background when image is inserted in another application

GF
Posted By
glen_fun
Nov 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP! I am using Photoshop 7.01. My "supposed" transparent GIF image shows up with a gray background when the image is inserted in another application. I have saved my PSD image with a transparent background as a transparent GIF file (Settings: selective; no dither; transparency checked; diffusion transparency; lossy at 0; 128 colors; amount at 100%).

What is wrong with what I am doing? I can’t get my image to be transparent…even when I try to save as a tranparent png file. Please help. Thanks.

Glen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 20, 2003
Are you using "Save for web"? or just "save as…" then choosing GIF? I have not problem with the "save for web" command and choosing GIF.

Also, make sure your transparencty is 100% transparent (0% opaque). You can do this with the eyedropper and the Info pallette.

Also, make sure your application you’re importing the GIF into supports transparency. Test it with Internet Explorer: drag the gif into IE’s window and see if the transparency is gray, or white.

~Hanford
MM
Mac_McDougald
Nov 20, 2003
Pretty normal behavior actually.
The transparent GIF thing is really coded for web browsers primarily. Depending on the app, either a transparent TIFF/PSD or a TIFF with clipping path will be necessary.

Even the mighty mite Irfanview will show transparent GIFs with gray background.

Mac
L
LenHewitt
Nov 20, 2003
Glen,

when the image is inserted in another application<<

What "other application" ??

Very few applications other than web browsers support transparent gifs
GF
glen_fun
Nov 20, 2003
Thanks everyone for all your kind assistance. I have learnt a few things regarding making transparent gifs. …Glen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections