NG
Posted By
Nick_G_Walker
Nov 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Installed CS on Mac with no problems last week however received CS for Windows today and nothing but problems.

Using Windows XP Pro Removed Photoshop 7.01 using add/remove facility

De-activated Norton antivirus, shut down Zone Alarm Pro and installed CS. All went smoothly. Activated CS on line. Although no programmes running in background restarted PC.

Norton and Zone alarm have not caused any problems in the past with Photoshop 7.01.

Photoshop CS loads correctly but then CS displays the following Adobe generated message; ‘An error has been detected with a required application library and the product cannot continue. Please reinstall the application’. No error codes appear in this message.

I remove CS using add/remove programmes facility and restart in safe mode only to get the same message. Same problem occurs after 3rd attempt to install. I opted for activation by telephone on the third attempt.

Through trial an error it seems this message only appears if Zone Alarm Pro is running even though CS has full permissions.

Has anyone else experienced such problems? I have spent all afternoon researching the problem but other than waiting for a possible solution from Zone Alarms I have come up against a brick wall. Two phone calls to Adobe UK have not resolved an issue which is an enigma to them.

Nick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AP
amie_park
Nov 21, 2003
Hi,

After you get the error, what does Photoshop do? Does it shut down when you hit OK? Does it freeze? Can you continue?

I’m not familiar with Zone Alarms, I assume it’s a security program? Where does it live on your hard drive?

Amie
NG
Nick_G_Walker
Nov 21, 2003
Amie

Thanks for your reply.

I have just discovered the problem. Setting Zone Alarm Pros’ (Firewall) program control to high (Programs must ask for Internet access and server rights) causes the warning described in my opening post and CS crash. The same setting did not affect Photoshop 7.01.

Even when the ZA program alert box pops up asking if I want CS to access the internet it makes no differnece whether I select yes or no Photoshop displays the warning message highlighted in my opening post. If I shut down the message or try to open a file Photoshop crashes and completely vanishes from view.

If I remove the program control from high to medium (states still requires permission but uses learning mode) no such Pro alarm messages show and Photoshop runs sweat!

I hope Adobe picks up on this post as I should not have to lower firewall protections to accomodate CS.

Almost sane once again!

Regards

Nick Walker
DE
david_evanson
Nov 21, 2003
I have Norton AV 2002 and Zone Alarm Pro (latest version) running on Win XP Pro without any problems but I left the ZA program control at its default level. I’m not an expert on ZA but in the high security mode would you need to allow PS access to particular ports within ZA? I guess in learning mode once you grant access it allows the program access to any ports it needs. After ZA has learnt which ports PS needs can you return ZA security to high?

Could the error be due to ZA initially allowing access to some ports and not others causing PS to stop at an unexpected point in its loading process?
L
LenHewitt
Nov 21, 2003
Nick,

In the Alert d/box, select the CS alert and then add that to the Trusted list. PSCS isn’t attempting to connect to the internet, but to a port on your own local machine – the alert log will usually show either your network card IP Address or 127.0.0.1
NG
Nick_G_Walker
Nov 21, 2003
David and Len

Many thanks for your replies. I checked ZA Pros’ programe control to ensure CS had rights before launching CS. What I can’t fathom out is why the same settings were fine for 7.01 since instaling ZA Pro approx 11 months ago, non of the security settings were altered to accomodate CS.

Oh well at least it works on the medium security setting!

Regards

Nick
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 22, 2003
Nick,

Photoshop CS has some new capabilities that use network access (VersionCue). It’s probably that component causing the issues.

-Scott
B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 5, 2004
LenHewitt "CTRL Key does not work in Photoshop CS" 11/15/03 2:18am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
B
BLUDVLZ
Jan 5, 2004
Inadvertent double post. Sorry.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections