Posted By
fossill
Dec 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I added drop shadow and outer glow to some text in Photoshop but when I export it to Adobe Illustrator the effects aren’t there. Is there a way to keep the added effects once I export. Using Adobe CS and Ill. 9.0
Thanks Keith

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mark_Hiers
Dec 2, 2003
You probably have to flatten the file first
B
BLUDVLZ
Dec 2, 2003
Fossill,

How are you exporting? Why not just save as a native PSD file and import? Should keep all layer effects and transparency (if you have it).
F
fossill
Dec 2, 2003
I am using the type on an album cover. The type needs to have transparent background. If I flatten it, it will create a colored background.I saved the entire album in PSD format. I don’t have import on Illustrator 9. The company duplicating the album recommend sending images in layers.I also tried using the effects in Illustrator but it’s not the same.
Thanks
B
BLUDVLZ
Dec 2, 2003
Fossill,

Use the Place command under the File menu. It’s AI’s equivalent of Import. If you don’t have place, then you’ll need to reinstall Illustrator.
F
fossill
Dec 2, 2003
I tried "placing" it. still no effects on the type. It works okay If I flatten the entire image. May just have to do that and send photoshop images to company in folder "unflattened".
Thanks
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 2, 2003
You can also try "Create as Layer" on the layer effects.

-Scott
B
BLUDVLZ
Dec 2, 2003
Fossill,

What happens when you open the PSD file in Illustrator? I’m not having the same difficulties as you describe, so I wonder if it is just a glitch in your system or an incompatability between PSCS and the older version of Illustrator?

What you can also try is to merge your effect layers with a new blank layer. This way you won’t have to flatten, yet you can still keep your layer effects (albeit uneditable now) and transparency when you import into Illustrator.
SM
sam_m_brown
Dec 2, 2003
In your layer menu choose ‘merge visible’ – this will effectivly flatten your image but will retain the transparency
F
fossill
Dec 3, 2003
Thanks guys,
I upgraded to Illustrator 10 and everything works fine.
Thanks again

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections