M
Posted By
MervJones
Dec 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I own a Canon EOS 1DS (11 MP) and mostly cover Weddings. Until recently (see second question below) I have been taking images in JPEG fine, at the highest setting of 10. The files end up being around 4000 KB with dimentions of 56 * 37 inches. My workflow has been to do all modifications needed (bar sharpening) and save as TIF. I then crop the TIF to the size ordered, could be 4*6, 5*7 etc. I crop at 300 pixels/inch then sharpen, then save as JPEG highest setting. The resultant prints are very good, with the largest printed so far, on canvas, being 20" * 30".
However, everywhere I read about "Image Size" being the way to resize images, and using resample Bicubic. While my images are already very good, detail wise, how should I work, as invariable I need to crop my images before printing, and the amount of image visable varies by size.

Second question
Having recently bought Delin’s Photo Pad 20 Gig to download images onsite, I shot my last Wedding in Canon Raw. This resulted in files being 12 MB in size. However, when I used the Canon utility to convert to TIF, without any mod’s being done in the Canon Raw utility, the files grew to 64 MB. With this growth, I will very soon run out of disk space, as I cover around 3 Weddings a month, taking around 200 pictures at each event.
Does anyone know where the extra size comes from. I know that TIF is supposed to be lossless, but a growth from 12 MB to 64 MB is ridiculous

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 9, 2003
Using RAW and ACR2 with Photoshop CS would help some on the resizing – it can do a bit better job using the RAW data.

Canon saves the TIFF files uncompressed. And no, it’s about right. 11 Megapixels * 16 bits/channel * 3 channels = 66 Meg uncompressed

The RAW file contains the sensor data, so it’s only 11 Megapixels * 12 bits * 1 channel, AND they use a lossless compression scheme on it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections