RM
Posted By
Richard_Murray
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help, please! I have a wonderful photo that just happens to have some "junk" in the distance background of the shot. Is there a way user layers or some other technique to blur the background. That would make my photo an awarding shot if I could tone down the junk in the background. Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 22, 2003
Simplest way, even on same layer is to just select what you want to stay sharp, feather some, select inverse, and use one of the blur filters.

Mac
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 22, 2003
I would copy the layer. Use gaussian blur on the copy. Then use a mask to reveal the bit I still want sharp [on the layer beneath]. You can then "fine tune" the blur by adjusting the opacity of the new layer.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Dec 22, 2003
Colin, if you do so, you might have "pollution" of the foreground object with the blur… it might be wise to duplicate, erase the "sharp" subject, then run the blur
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 22, 2003
Pierre

Why would this occur if I have used a mask to eliminate that part of the blurred layer?
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Dec 22, 2003
Colin: I think what Pierre means is that on the unmasked area, there may be colour artifacts from adjacent (masked) colours carried over from the guassian blur.
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 22, 2003
Philo

I see. I guess I’d actually apply the mask before doing the blur, so that would resolve the problem.

Good point though.
M
MCGARR
Dec 26, 2003
There are some examples of blurred backgrounds that I have created in Photoshop. My website is <http://www.computerhomephoto.com>. Just look throughout the site Projects and filter effects.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections