Prevent lines in a gradient/blurred background.

AR
Posted By
Andrea_Russell
Jul 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a dark background with a glowing center. Its a gradient that goes from the inside out. Inside is white and by the time you reach the edge its almost black. I am designing an advertisement and they will all be different dark colors.

I seem to be getting lines no matter what I do. Small lines of color like on a tree trunk. I have even added some noise to it but they are still there..

Do you have any ideas on how I can prevent that from happening. Anything you can come up with would be appreciated.
Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mitch_Redmond
Dec 12, 2006
I know this is an old post but one thing I have noticed is that it might just be your monitor. I am using a MacBook Pro and there is significant banding on the same type of gradient image even in 16-bit. I am using an external monitor as well so I moved the window over to my external monitor and the banding was almost nonexistent.

This discovery was a bit disheartening. I even took a screenshot and with dual monitors you get a screenshot for each monitor, so I opened them up in Preview and the colors were off for the different monitors but the banding was still gone for the screenshot of the external monitor.

So I experimented with the monitor settings; my MacBook and the external monitor are both set to 1680 x 1050 with Millions of colors, external monitor set at 60 Hertz refresh rate where the MacBook monitor can’t be adjusted. A factor, I would think. But what was really odd is after changing my MacBook monitor to Thousands of colors, the banding seemed less noticeable.

I’m sorry I don’t have a solution for this but just thought I’d throw out some findings.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections