JG
Posted By
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently upgraded to XP. (Pentium 3, 500+RAM, 433 speed). Installation of either PS 6 or 7.0, was completed, without problem. When launching either Photoshop or Illustrator, I received an error message telling me that Photoshop and Windows were attempting to write to the same scratch file, and that they recommended that I move the program(?) or the scratch file to another physical disc.

I have googled, and searched the Microsoft and Adobe datebases; nothing seems to be specific to this problem. There was mention that freezing of Adobe programs would point to hardware problems such as corrupt memory chips. I doubt this since I have tried to load the program on a friend’s computer, and received the same message. Recently, due to a pesky worm I reformatted the hard drive: switching from FAT 32 to NTSF. At first I thought that this might be the problem, but I know people that are running PS 7 on NTSF. This is all the information I have, if someone could point me in the right direction….. Thanks PS: I’m not sure if this means anything, but: In reviewing the event log all of the the Adobe programs except"Reader" are giving the same error address.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 24, 2003
If all you have is one harddrive just ignore it. If you have a second harddrive you can set PS’s scratch to the second drive.

BTW, you say you upgraded to XP. Does that mean you got a new computer, did a clean install or actually upgraded the previous operating system?

Bob
JG
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 25, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I do only have one harddrive. Windows XP was a clean install. I had to reformat the harddrive. And as for ignoring it, I tried that, and both Illustrator and PS freeze the computer.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 25, 2003
change the setting from "Startup" to "C:\" and the message should go away.
JG
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks. I believe I’ve solved the problem, temporarily. I have a small Hd: 7GB. It has been sufficient for me since I’ve done all of my work in a darkroom, and have not needed the space for PS. Now I would like to learn about the digital age of photograpy. I uninstalled PS, defragged the disk, reinstalled, and then reset the scratch file for c:\. It’s working. I was trying to reset for a ROM-RW drive(in case the space available was insufficient) but the program wouldn’t let me.
JG
Jeannette_Goerge
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks. I believe I’ve solved the problem, temporarily. I have a small Hd: 7GB. It has been sufficient for me since I’ve done all of my work in a darkroom, and have not needed the space for PS. Now I would like to learn about the digital age of photography. I uninstalled PS, defragged the disk, reinstalled, and then reset the scratch file for c:\. It’s working. I’m getting ready to install another drive for storage. I’m sure I’ll be back. Thanks for all the help.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 26, 2003
You can’t use removable media or network drives for scratch space.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections