AK
Posted By
Alvin_Kanarbik
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed the new Photoshop (Uninstalling version 7) and it seems I can’t use ctrl++, ctrl+-, ctrl+a or any kind of ctrl+ shortcuts. If I try to, say, zoom in/out, I hold down ctrl, which automatically shows the Move Tool cursor and whether I tap +,- or any other key, it doesn’t do a thing (While it *should* zoom in/out). I simply can’t use those shortcuts, which makes working with PS CS *very* irritating.

Any help would be apprciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RH
r_harvey
Jan 9, 2004
See the FAQ in the main Photoshop/Windows page. It might just be bad keyboard driver. If it’s not that, come back here, leave some more information, such as your e-mail address, and somebody will be sure to help you.

Be very, very quiet…
AK
Alvin_Kanarbik
Jan 9, 2004
Okay, fixed it. Thanks!
RH
r_harvey
Jan 9, 2004
What was the solution?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 9, 2004
Yes, Alvin, weยดd be interested in hearing your solution.
AK
Alvin_Kanarbik
Jan 9, 2004
Easy enough. I googled for:

"Photoshop CS" "keyboard driver"

The first match I got was:

<http://forum.deviantart.com/software/general/126201/>

As I searched for a solution from the site, I found a link to a crack.

(http://www.cracks.am/d.x?4169)

Even though my version was NOT a "warez" one, the crack seemed to work just fine.

Only problem is, now I can’t use Copy or Cut inside the program. It just says "Program Error". That’ll teach me to use cracks…
P
Phosphor
Jan 9, 2004
<Nelson>
"HA-Ha!!"
</Nelson>
RH
r_harvey
Jan 9, 2004
It’s not illegal to use the crack if you bought the program in the first place.

Or the second place.
M
MarkATS
Jan 9, 2004
It’s not illegal to use the crack if you bought the program in the first place.

Might be something in the EULA that says you can’t modify the program. I would think the crack is making a modification.
V
viol8ion
Jan 9, 2004
The crack is an attempt to override copyright controls in place inthe program, and as such is a violation of the Digitial Millenium Copyright Act. The feds are harder on violators of this law than they are on murderers…
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 9, 2004
From the EULA:

4. Restrictions.
4.1 Notices. You may not copy the Software except as set forth in Section 2 and 14. Any permitted copy of the Software that you make must contain the same copyright and other proprietary notices that appear on or in the Software.
4.2 No Modifications. Except as permitted in Section 14.7, you may not modify, adapt or translate the Software. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Software except to the extent you may be expressly permitted under applicable law to decompile only in order to achieve interoperability with the Software.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jan 10, 2004
And you shouln’t post links to a crack on the official Adobe forum!!!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 10, 2004
but if the crack does nothing to the actual program, but instead intercepts or overrides the external and 3rd party activation process, i don’t see how that falls under section 4.2 of the eula described above. so the crack MAY in fact be legal (even if it is buggy).
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 10, 2004
Is it a separate program? I thought it might be like no-cd game cracks, which are .exe replacements

but if the crack does nothing to the actual program, but instead
intercepts or overrides the external and 3rd party activation process, i don’t see how that falls under section 4.2 of the eula described above. so the crack MAY in fact be legal (even if it is buggy).
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 10, 2004
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 10, 2004
heh!@Mat!

Is it a separate program?

I don’t know, never seen it or felt the need to dig it out. But the activation is 3rd party (Macrovision). So it would seem likely that any crack be aimed at defeating that rather than change the exe itself. I could be wrong though. Just a theory.
RH
r_harvey
Jan 10, 2004
I seem to remember that Chris Cox said that it patches the EXE, which would be another sign that the pirates are stupid, or that Adobe’s (or Macrovision’s) code is not obfuscated at all.

The whole thing is still dopey, on both sides of the issue, anyway.
RM
Rick Moore
Jan 10, 2004
Yeah, and I’d rather stay out of the dark alleys where you find this stuff ๐Ÿ™‚
Strange thing about the game no-cd’s, I was directed to go there by customer support from one of the game manufacturers, because their play CD’s don’t read on DVD readers or CD writers

I don’t know, never seen it or felt the need to dig it out. But the
activation is 3rd party (Macrovision). So it would seem likely that any crack be aimed at defeating that rather than change the exe itself. I could be wrong though. Just a theory.
SB
Scott_Byer
Jan 16, 2004
The crack is a modification of the program and running it violates the EULA.

-Scott
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 22, 2004
bump… so, we cleared that up. thanks scott.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 22, 2004
I hate to be a jerk, but it seems to come naturally.

If you wrote the crack you’re in violation. Using it may be another matter. "Bypassing controls" could be… removing the Digimarc Plug-in. Ain’t language great?

Not to suggest, or even mildly hint that someone should use a crack…
TE
Thomas_Ellefson
Jan 22, 2004
Don’t you just love this stuff? In regards to the DVD/CD-writer comment, I had a somewhat similar experience, but twisted a bit. I bought a new pc from Gateway (I know, ha ha, but it’s an employer-assisted thing so Gateway was my only choice) and it came with a cd/dvd burner as it’s only cd media drive. Some games I play around with on weekends wouldn’t run on it, claiming I didn’t have the cd in the drive. When I called for support they automatically assumed since it was a cd-writer that I was trying to use copied or pirated software, so they wouldn’t help me. Even after I insisted it was store-bought software and that I’d seen numerous reports online about DVD writers tripping copy protection blockouts falsely, they wouldn’t budge. "We can’t help you with your copied, pirated software, SIR!" Tech support people are so cheerful when they’re angry.

tye
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 22, 2004
That’s a funny story. I’ve always used gateway, love ’em. I’ve never used tech support. I’ve always said that any idiot can (an usually does) answer a telephone.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections