T
Posted By
twodays
Jan 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open an image from an Olympus E-20 in the RAW (.orf) format, the RAW window is so big I cannot do anything with it. I want to open the file(s) in 16-bit, but because I cannot see enough of the window to make any changes, they all open as 8-bit. Anyone have a fix?

TIA

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
…. answered the first time you asked. The physical dimensions of the file have nothing to do with 16 bit.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 13, 2004
Increase your monitor resolution
T
twodays
Jan 13, 2004
This is the first time I asked this question, Philo. I did not know there was a limit on questions here. Even if I HAD posted the question before, there are many possiblities why I would post again, such as not seeing the responses, etc. If you do not know, just don’t bother to post.

Now to the question: You cannot simply change the mode of an image from 8 to 16-bit. It must begin as 16-bit, which is one of the benefits of the RAW files. The window that appears when you File>Open a RAW image is so large I cannot see the options and it cannot be re-sized. I do not know what options are on that window. All I know is that I can only click OK and when the image opens, it is already an 8-bit image. I will be grateful for any constructive advise.

BTW, it does not help to change your monitor settings, as was suggested by LenHewitt.

TIA
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
RAW window in Photoshop CS is the same question reworded. What is your monitor setting: 640×480, 800×600, 1024×768, 1152×864, 1280×1024? Post the one you use. Your comment about having to begin with 16 bit is just wrong. Most digital cameras have 12 bit (/channel) data that can either be changed to 8 or 16 bit. The RAW converter gives you both options. There is no camera I know about that actually stores 16 bit in RAW.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 16, 2004
Some of the more professional cameras store 16 bit data.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections