PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Feb 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is no big deal because everything works as is, but I’m just curios…

I have an image with a layer mask and no background layer. (Speaking of which, why can’t a layer mask be added to the background layer anyway?).

The end result is that a part of the image becomes transparent. This is what I want because this image is to be used in Apply Image on a whole series of other images.

Now, when I save this image in TIFF format both the image and the layer mask are saved doubling the file size. However, if I flatten the image before saving, the transparency is replaced by white.

So, my question is how do I (can I?) flatten the image and yet preserve transparency so the resulting file is the same size as the original image without the layer mask?

No big deal, as I said, because I can just keep this file as is, but it’s a opportunity to learn something new. PS 6 here, BTW, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

Don.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections