How would I creat this effect? Need some creative brainstorming…

DF
Posted By
Dean_Fritzel
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Imagine an opaque cylinder (like a soda can). I want to make text wrap around the "can", but not as if it were printed on the can, but hovering out away from it half an inch or so. I wish I had a link to show you what I mean. If you need further description, please let me know.

I am using Photoshop CS as well as Illustrtor CS, so if Illustrator would be better to use…thats fine.

Thanks in advance!!

Dean Fritzel

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 20, 2004
You can do the text in Illustrator by using text on a path. (I know that is also possible in CS, but I haven’t had a chance to play with it.)

To make the floating effect, you just need to cast a shadow of the text on the can. This will probably take quite a bit of hand work.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Jan 20, 2004
Dean,

Have you tried using the 3D effects in Illustrator? I would start here. Place a copy of your can in its own layer and lock it. Then create a cylinder in AICS matching size and perspective. The create your type along a path that is larger than the circumference of your can by the distance you want the text to float. For instance if you want your text to float 1/2" from a 3 1/2" diameter can, create a path for the text that is 4" in diameter. Now that you have your text you can composite them in PSCS along with your original photo.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jan 20, 2004
Dean,

If you want to do a lot of this sort of thing, a good 3D program would empower you.

— Burton —
DF
Dean_Fritzel
Jan 21, 2004
Thanks guys…great advice. This is probably a one time deal. This is just one of 55 icons I need to make. I would love to get a good 3D program, but would not be worth the money or learning curve at this point. Although, maybe in the future I could make all the icons in a program like that….Hmmmm. That would be sweet.

Thanks,

Dean

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections