BW
Posted By
Bob_Wright
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a .jpg file that I am unable to open on the pc. Irfanviewer reports its compression as Macintosh Packbits. It is viewable in InDesign 2 but Photoshop and ImageReady can’t open it.

I can have the mac user resave it but is there any way I can use or unpack it on the pc? Any help appreciated.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 5, 2004
JPEG files can’t use any compression other than JPEG (it does have some optioins, but PackBits isn’t one of them).

I suspect that this is not a JPEG file, and it somehow got mislabeled.
BW
Bob_Wright
Feb 5, 2004
Thanks, it sounded strange that a jpg would use another compression to me. Anyhow, you are right. Named it a tif and it works!! Bob

wrote:

JPEG files can’t use any compression other than JPEG (it does have some optioins, but PackBits isn’t one of them).

I suspect that this is not a JPEG file, and it somehow got mislabeled.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 5, 2004
Packbits is so old that you can only get them from a time machine. I actually did receive a packbits file from Europe a few years ago and read it in Graphic Converter. A black and white architectural drawing from one of those original macs.
SW
Steve_Westley
Feb 16, 2004
I’m having a problem opening some packbit-compressed TIFF files in Photoshop CS for PC.

I could not open a file in Photoshop (the error message was "Could not complete your request because of a program error"), but I can open the same file using Paint Shop Pro. When I re-save the file in Paint Shop Pro, it gets about 4MB bigger in size, and then it will open in Photoshop.

I have many files that are packbit compressed, and would like to avoid the open/re-save step in Paint Shop. Any help is appreciated.

Steve.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 16, 2004
Steve – what version of Photoshop? Photoshop should always handle PackBits compression without any problems.

Also, if this was 7.0 or CS, it would help if I could get some sample files that gave an error.
SW
Steve_Westley
Feb 16, 2004
Hi Chris,
I’m using Photoshop CS. The error pops up after a second or two of processing.

The file is a scanned map, and is quite big (about 176 MB). Can I put it on an FTP server and e-mail you the address?

Thanks,
Steve.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 16, 2004
Steve – sure. Email me at

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections