RC
Posted By
Roger Corson
Jul 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just upgraded from Elements 1 to Elements 2 and discovered that the Photoshop creator type has changed from 8BIN to 8ELE. So I now have 30,000 photoshop files on my hard drive that don’t open in Elements 2 when double clicked. Why did the morons change the creator type? How do I fix these 30,000 files? Is there an applescript that will find them all and change them? I’m not going to change them manually.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Joe Henry1000
Jul 8, 2003
Stephen I think that because he’s dealing with these kind of file types he must still be using OS 9?

Roger, I’m not sure the name of the utility, it might be File Buddy, but there was one that could batch change the creator types in OS 9. Check out Version Tracker <http://www.versiontracker.com>. I bet you could find something there that would help.

Joe
RC
Richard Coencas
Jul 8, 2003
At the top of the list of topics on this forum.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 9, 2003
Roger and Joseph – you’re both using Macs, but neither of you said what OS you’re running. There is a way to change the file association if either/both are on OS X. If you’re still on OS 9, you’re out of luck.

For OS X, highlight any one of your image files that had been created in PSE 1. Go to File>Get Info and open the "Open With" panel. There’s a pop up menu, where you can choose which program you want to have open all files of this type.

For future reference, it’s always a good idea to clearly state the platform and OS in your posts. Sometimes we can pick up clues, but that’s a risky assumption! 🙂
JH
Joe Henry1000
Jul 10, 2003
Beth,

There are plenty of shareware/freeware apps that can batch process creator codes in OS 9. I assumed that Roger was using OS 9 because he listed 8BIN and 8ELE codes. Those look to me like OS 9 creator codes. I just did a search over at Version Tracker < http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new_search.m?productDB=mac& amp;mode=Quick&OS_Filter=MacOS&search=creator+type&a mp;x=0&y=0> and came up with 2 pages of this kind of utility. 🙂

Joseph,

Beth’s right about listing you’re OS. It really helps. If you’re using OS 9 check out the above link. If you’re using OS X follow Beth’s advice.

Joe

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections