I
Posted By
Injam
Feb 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ever since I installed another stick of 512 MB RAM to make me have 1 Gig RAM Photoshop 3 will not start. Error message says, "There is not enough memory (RAM) to launch Photoshop." I’m sure the 1 gig RAM is freaking out Photoshop
3. Does anyone know of a work around or fix?

Sincerely,

Injam

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CJ
C J Southern
Feb 12, 2006
Try loading up a few other big apps first?

V3? Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade!
C
Chris
Feb 13, 2006
In article <laAHf.141562$>,
"C J Southern" wrote:

Must mean Elements, naturally. Unless you were being sarcastic (in which case … ha! I get it!).

🙂

C
CJ
C J Southern
Feb 13, 2006
"Chris Havel" wrote in message
In article <laAHf.141562$>,
"C J Southern" wrote:

Must mean Elements, naturally. Unless you were being sarcastic (in which case … ha! I get it!).

I’ve known a few apps over the years that didn’t examine enough significant digits, so the likes of "1,100,000" may be interpreted as "100,000". Loading up a few apps first to chew up available ram would often work.

I wouldn’e expect Elements 3 to suffer from this "design limitation"
N
noone
Feb 13, 2006
In article <ooyHf.10007$>,
says…
Ever since I installed another stick of 512 MB RAM to make me have 1 Gig RAM Photoshop 3 will not start. Error message says, "There is not enough memory (RAM) to launch Photoshop." I’m sure the 1 gig RAM is freaking out Photoshop

Sincerely,

Injam

Many older image programs were designed to work with up to 512MB RAM – Painter (prior to v 5, I think), 3-D Painter, and many other similar programs. Unfortunately, with OVER 512MB, they can’t calculate the RAM and throw that message. As it’s been many years since I had PS 3 on my machines, I did not know that it had that limit, but then I only had 512 in its day. I had to build a machine with only 512MB to run some of those older apps, even though it had a 3.2GHz processor and big RAID 0 disks. As I have not had much call for work from those apps, I’ll probably flesh it out soon with 2GB and just delete those old programs. I tried every work-around I could think of to get the OS to fool the app into thinkning I only had 512 and never found a way. I kept MS ME as the OS, as Win2K & XP wouldn’t run some of them, even though they seem to do a better job with legacy apps, than did earlier OSs. These old guys were just happy with certain configs, and NOT with others.

I’d suggest taking the upgrade path through Adobe, or a re-seller, as MUCH has happened in PS, since 3.0.1. You might have to call Adobe to get the upgrade to install, but they’re very helpful when making an upgrade from a much earlier ver of their programs. Five minutes on the phone, and it’s all done – usually.

Hunt
AM
Andrew Morton
Feb 13, 2006
Hunt wrote:
<snip too much ram "woes">
I tried every work-around I could
think of to get the OS to fool the app into thinkning I only had 512 and never found a way.

http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.director.basics/br owse_frm/thread/191dd7feab65e8c5/38c8d934ad7d9c30?lnk=st&amp ;q=application+compatibility+group%3Amacromedia.director.*&a mp;rnum=1&hl=en#38c8d934ad7d9c30

(watch for line-
wrap)

Andrew
T
toby
Feb 14, 2006
Injam wrote:

Yes.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.graphics.photoshop/msg/10 f4f3bd133c0ae1

Sincerely,

Injam
N
noone
Feb 14, 2006
In article , says…
Hunt wrote:
<snip too much ram "woes">
I tried every work-around I could
think of to get the OS to fool the app into thinkning I only had 512 and never found a way.

http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.director.basics/br owse_frm/thread/
191d
d7feab65e8c5/38c8d934ad7d9c30?lnk=st&q=application+compa tibility+group%3
Amacrome
dia.director.*&rnum=1&hl=en#38c8d934ad7d9c30

(watch for line-
wrap)

Andrew

Thanks for the link. I’ll experiment with it, as I’d like to be able to open some of those old-guys, should the need arise.

Hunt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections