P
Posted By
Peter
Apr 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible in some way to select a colour from a picture and then extract everything of that colour from the background.
I need to extract a large leafless tree from a blue sky background leaving only the branches with all the gaps between the branches open i.e no sky between them.
I then want to place the tree on another background with that background appearing through every gap between the branches.
Thanks,

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

E
embee
Apr 5, 2006
"Peter" wrote in message
Is it possible in some way to select a colour from a picture and then extract everything of that colour from the background.
I need to extract a large leafless tree from a blue sky background leaving only the branches with all the gaps between the branches open i.e no sky between them.
I then want to place the tree on another background with that background appearing through every gap between the branches.
Thanks,

Select-Colour Range is the function you’re looking for – although the results can vary. The more colour contrast between the pixels you want to select and those that make up the background, the better the selection you can achieve. Sometimes it’s better to select the BACKGROUND pixels and invert the selection it makes.
Good luck.
DF
Derek Fountain
Apr 6, 2006
Select-Colour Range is the function you’re looking for – although the results can vary. The more colour contrast between the pixels you want to select and those that make up the background, the better the selection you can achieve.

In some situations you can use a temporary levels or curves layer to artificially boost contrast and make the automated selection tools work better.
Apr 6, 2006
"Peter" wrote in message

Another way is to create a mask. There is an option that will help automate finding of the edges.
P
Peter
Apr 25, 2006
Many thanks chaps,
I’ll give them both a try.
Peter

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections