KatWoman
Jun 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I just got a new computer and I’m running photoshop 6 on a dell 17"Ultrasharp flatscreen.

Problems:

If I use the screen setting of 1024×768 all images a appear streched on the vertical. In other words a foramtted 5"x5" sqare looks like a rectangle even though it’s not. This problem is resoved if I work in the 1280×1024 size. There a square is a square! If there’s no way of altering this I think i’ll have to find a new monitor.

Also in both these screen sizes the bottom of the options bar is somewhat cut off it’s still viewable but it makes it smaller which leads into my next question, when the list of fonts is shown for selecting be it through the options bar or character window they appear quite small. Is there any way of changing these setting in photoshop to appear larger?
Thanks
Dan
you can use large fonts settings for the whole computer
display properties>appearance>change font size to large

I think you are using the incorrect proportions for you monitor, if it’s a widescreen you have to select different settings for the display size than the more squarish proportion for regular shape monitor

Does that type monitor have manual adjustments?? on the CRT you can move the margins

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
Dan
Jun 24, 2006
Hi,
I just got a new computer and I’m running photoshop 6 on a dell 17"Ultrasharp flatscreen.

Problems:

If I use the screen setting of 1024×768 all images a appear streched on the vertical. In other words a foramtted 5"x5" sqare looks like a rectangle even though it’s not. This problem is resoved if I work in the 1280×1024 size. There a square is a square! If there’s no way of altering this I think i’ll have to find a new monitor.

Also in both these screen sizes the bottom of the options bar is somewhat cut off it’s still viewable but it makes it smaller which leads into my next question, when the list of fonts is shown for selecting be it through the options bar or character window they appear quite small. Is there any way of changing these setting in photoshop to appear larger?

Thanks
Dan
D
Dan
Jun 24, 2006
I’m running that on windows XP as well..

"Dan" wrote in message
Hi,

Problems:

Thanks
Dan

D
Dan
Jun 24, 2006
"KatWoman" wrote in message
"Dan" wrote in message
Hi,

Problems:

Thanks
Dan
you can use large fonts settings for the whole computer
display properties>appearance>change font size to large
I think you are using the incorrect proportions for you monitor, if it’s a widescreen you have to select different settings for the display size than the more squarish proportion for regular shape monitor

Does that type monitor have manual adjustments?? on the CRT you can move the margins

I’ve tried the largest appearance setting and still find it rather small. No the monitor is not a widescreen it’s actually proportioned quite simliar to my old one its just that this is an lcd.
When I have the 2 monitors up with the same image it’s very apparent that at the same screen resolution 1024×768 on the new one stretches the image vertiacally, though not extreme its still quite apparent. I have a feeling it’s the nature of the monitor but I hope to hear otherwise.
S
somebody
Jun 24, 2006
Dan,

The aspect ratios of these two monitors are different: 1280 by 1024 is 5:4 and 1024 by 768 is 4:3. The latter is the more common aspect ratio when taking into account the other resolutions that are available (not widescreen). I have no experience with 1280 by 1024, but the aspect ratio could be a factor. I’m astonished that Photoshop does distort the images, considering that it is based on pixels. I assume that the dimensions of the pixels could also be a factor. Have you checked the settings of your video card if there is a setting on scaling?

Regarding the font size, the overall font size for the machine can be set to large: 125 % of the standard size: Right click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> General -> make your selection. Note that some programs will look funny because they will not be able to fit the larger font into the -obviously hardcoded- space in the menus. Also, Internet Explorer 6 (I don’t know about the others) will somehow modify jpg images and some will look less sharp. If you have a Dell with QuickSet, you can use QuickSet to change the font size. QuickSet has an option for Internet Explorer at the 120 dpi setting. I assume it fixes the latter, but I have not tried it..

You can also change the font size for Photoshop specifically: Edit -> Preferences -> General -> UI Font size -> make your selection. I’m running "small" and have not tried the others.

FWIW, I’m running 1920 by 1200, which is really a widescreened 1600 by 1200 (4:3 aspect ratio).

Good luck

Roger

"Dan" wrote:

Hi,

Problems:

Thanks
Dan

S
somebody
Jun 24, 2006
Is this a CRT or an LCD?

Roger

wrote:

Dan,

The aspect ratios of these two monitors are different: 1280 by 1024 is 5:4 and 1024 by 768 is 4:3. The latter is the more common aspect ratio when taking into account the other resolutions that are available (not widescreen). I have no experience with 1280 by 1024, but the aspect ratio could be a factor. I’m astonished that Photoshop does distort the images, considering that it is based on pixels. I assume that the dimensions of the pixels could also be a factor. Have you checked the settings of your video card if there is a setting on scaling?
Regarding the font size, the overall font size for the machine can be set to large: 125 % of the standard size: Right click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> General -> make your selection. Note that some programs will look funny because they will not be able to fit the larger font into the -obviously hardcoded- space in the menus. Also, Internet Explorer 6 (I don’t know about the others) will somehow modify jpg images and some will look less sharp. If you have a Dell with QuickSet, you can use QuickSet to change the font size. QuickSet has an option for Internet Explorer at the 120 dpi setting. I assume it fixes the latter, but I have not tried it..

You can also change the font size for Photoshop specifically: Edit -> Preferences -> General -> UI Font size -> make your selection. I’m running "small" and have not tried the others.
FWIW, I’m running 1920 by 1200, which is really a widescreened 1600 by 1200 (4:3 aspect ratio).

Good luck

Roger

"Dan" wrote:

Hi,

Problems:

Thanks
Dan

T
Tacit
Jun 24, 2006
In article
wrote:

Every monitor I have ever seen has a control to alter this.

The controls are in the monitor, not the computer. Does your monitor have an on-screen menu? If so, it will have settings to control the width and height of the image.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections