Posted By
Tsotsi
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I personally use PS7 but I’m trying to help someone with Elements to make good
selections – and for this person the ideal selection method would be Quickmask. Using brushes and Quickmask would be the ideal way for them to ‘paint’ a selection, rather than trying to use the lasso or magic wand etc. .. Can Elememts do it – is there a ‘workaround’? Their PC is older and couldn’t run the full version of PC besides it’s too expensive. thanks

posted on other PS group too

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
nomail
Aug 25, 2004
Tsotsi wrote:

I personally use PS7 but I’m trying to help someone with Elements to make good
selections – and for this person the ideal selection method would be Quickmask. Using brushes and Quickmask would be the ideal way for them to ‘paint’ a selection, rather than trying to use the lasso or magic wand etc. . Can Elememts do it – is there a ‘workaround’? Their PC is older and couldn’t run the full version of PC besides it’s too expensive.

Elements has a ‘Selection Brush’, which is exactly what you’re looking for.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
F
Frank
Aug 25, 2004
I personally use PS7 but I’m trying to help someone with Elements to
make
good
selections – and for this person the ideal selection method would be Quickmask. Using brushes and Quickmask would be the ideal way for them
to
‘paint’ a selection, rather than trying to use the lasso or magic wand
etc.
. Can Elememts do it – is there a ‘workaround’? Their PC is older and couldn’t run the full version of PC besides it’s too expensive.

Elements has a ‘Selection Brush’, which is exactly what you’re looking for.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

Thanks Johan – I am at home now so I dont have Elements in front of me – does this selection brush you are talking about also first paint a ‘mask’ like Qickmask does one in rubylith red. And can you choose a soft brush to simulate feathering like you can in Qickmask ?
I looked at your site – Nice images!
Dank U Wel

ps I just changed my newsgroup name so dont think it’s someone else
N
nomail
Aug 26, 2004
Fraank wrote:

Thanks Johan – I am at home now so I dont have Elements in front of me – does this selection brush you are talking about also first paint a ‘mask’ like Qickmask does one in rubylith red. And can you choose a soft brush to simulate feathering like you can in Qickmask ?
I looked at your site – Nice images!
Dank U Wel

ps I just changed my newsgroup name so dont think it’s someone else

The selection brush is a normal brush, with all the normal options like brush size, feathering, etc. By default, it ‘paints’ a selection, so it works like painting in QuickMask and then inverse. You can also change it so that it paints a mask instead of a selection. The result is a normal selection with ‘marching ants’ if you paint a selection. If you paint a mask, it’s red like quickmask.

BC
Brendon Cottrell
Aug 29, 2004
It’s only Elements 2 that has the quickmask brush. There is a work around in Elements 1. If you want to know it come back to the newsgroup again.
MJ
Michael J Davis
Aug 30, 2004
In message <PprYc.1024$>, Brendon Cottrell
writes
It’s only Elements 2 that has the quickmask brush. There is a work around in Elements 1. If you want to know it come back to the newsgroup again.

Yeah! I went off to try it on E1. 🙁

I would be grateful (until I upgrade to E3!) – thanks.

Mike

Michael J Davis
<>{
"The very man who has argued you down,
will sometimes be found, years later,
to have been influenced by what you said." CSLewis <>{
H
Hecate
Aug 31, 2004
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:49:30 GMT, "Brendon Cottrell" wrote:

Don’t post binary files in a text newsgroup.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
BC
Brendon Cottrell
Sep 2, 2004
that’s funny I thought all computer stuff was binary.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections