BP
Posted By
Brian_Peart
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t understand a problem that has appeared since my PC network has been adjusted…

I have a small peer-to-peer network of four PCs: PC1 is the most powerfull, runs Win XP Home and PSCS; PC2 is my printserver, it runs Win XP Pro and Shiraz RIP to drive my 7600 printer; PC3 runs Win 98ME; PC4 runs WFW3.11 (to operate an old A3 scanner). I have recently worked on the network settings so that DHCP is OFF, and all PCs have a unique TCP/IP address. As a result, the network is now faster, more stable and this PC (PC1) starts up much faster.

However, now whenever I try to open PSCS, it gets to the screen saying its done loading the Global Text Resources and stops. And it sits there until I switch on PC2… When PC2 has loaded and the desktop has appeared, then PSCS continues to load and starts up. If I open PSCS when PC2 is already running, it opens in a flash.

I can see the LEDs on the network hub flashing when PSCS is (trying to find PC2?) starting up.

So, whats going on here? I don’t have any shared printers or other hardware on the network, only shared folders, and there are shared folders on PC2 that I need. Is there a solution to this problem please?

Many thanks – Brian

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
Is your default printer on PC1? Set it to a local printer instead.

Bob
BP
Brian_Peart
Apr 2, 2004
Hi Bob – The default printer IS in PC1 and its a local laser printer and it makes no difference whether its on of off…

In the meantime, I’ve deleted the prefs file as per the FAQ [you have to be quick on the keys, don’t you!], re-set them and everything is fine – PSCS loads in about 5 secs!

I haven’t yet switched on PC2…

So I wonder what PSCS was looking for on the other PC and what else is in the preferences apart from what you set there?

Brian

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections