Posted By
Nic
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
1 – Clipping path with thousand points

I’m in a hurry masking images for a DTP work on Quark.
I have 50 images with many holes and grids to be masked. Making a manual nice & clean path is impossible considering the time frame and the image complexity.

from a mask to selection I make a work path with tolerance 0.5 pixel, so I dont need to edit the path (yes I’m in a hurry). This creates approx 1000 points on the selection path.
I would like to know if this kind of images would create trouble in quark and ripping.

I made a test with Indesign and PDF output and it was ok.

2 – Can Quark Xpress import one layered PSD files with transparance. evt with a pluggin ?

Thanks

Nic

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
WharfRat
Dec 9, 2003
in article 3fd520bb$0$69988$, Nic at
wrote on 12/8/03 5:08 PM:

I have 50 images with many holes and grids to be masked. Making a manual nice & clean path is impossible considering the time frame and the image complexity.

from a mask to selection I make a work path with tolerance 0.5 pixel, so I dont need to edit the path (yes I’m in a hurry). This creates approx 1000 points on the selection path.
I would like to know if this kind of images would create trouble in quark and ripping.

I made a test with Indesign and PDF output and it was ok.

2 – Can Quark Xpress import one layered PSD files with transparance. evt with a pluggin ?

I don’t think I have heard of Quark placing .psd files at all. I was on it today, but never thought to check.

The RIPs I have been using the last several years can handle as complex a path as you can give them.
even if Quark can’t write PostScript from it –
OPI will get it to the RIP.

The Quark export to PDF worked rather well though.
I had been curious about that.
– Still Q6 is pretty klunky compared to InDY.
MSD
L
lkrz
Dec 9, 2003
I don’t think I have heard of Quark placing .psd files at all. I was on it today, but never thought to check.

Gotta convert to .tif
One of many reasons I love ID.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography
EG
Eric Gill
Dec 9, 2003
"Nic" wrote in news:3fd520bb$0$69988
$:

http://www.alap.com/products/imgp.html

Good luck – you’re gonna need it.
T
tacitr
Dec 9, 2003

On a modern RIP, these’ll probably print, though they may take a very long time–especially if the image is rotated in Quark.

I would tend to be skeptical about that; a person skilled with the Pen tool can put a clipping path even around something like a piece of perforated board quite efficiently.

It won’t be a problem to place in Quark. It should RIP on a good, relatively modern PostScript RIP, though it may not do so quickly. If you get a Limitcheck error or a VM error when you’re outputting the job, better go in and make the path by hand.

No.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
Nic
Dec 10, 2003
Thanks Tacit & Eric for the help

I’m skilled with the Pen tool, Neverless often you are confronted with masking images that will take
1/10 of the time with an alpha mask.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections