PA
Posted By
pixel_a_ted
Jul 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am currently running PS 7 at home on a Mac; at work I am using CS 2 on a PC. I am considering downloading the trial version of CS 4 Extended at home. Before I go to the effort to download this large file and deal with installing it, a couple of questions please:

1. Can the trial version co-exist with the existing version of PS 7, without the former adversely affecting the latter in any way?

2. CS 2 has an almost identical user interface to PS 7 so that upgrade (at work) was fairly easy. It seems everything was very similar between the two versions except for the new features in CS 2. In perusing Adobe’s web site, CS 4 looks quite different. Would there a big learning curve to move from CS 2 to CS 4, or could I get by with what I know and gradually pick up the new stuff?

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TC
tony cooper
Jul 13, 2009
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:54:54 -0700 (PDT), pixel_a_ted
wrote:

I am currently running PS 7 at home on a Mac; at work I am using CS 2 on a PC. I am considering downloading the trial version of CS 4 Extended at home. Before I go to the effort to download this large file and deal with installing it, a couple of questions please:
1. Can the trial version co-exist with the existing version of PS 7, without the former adversely affecting the latter in any way?

Yes. No problem. Been there, done that.
2. CS 2 has an almost identical user interface to PS 7 so that upgrade (at work) was fairly easy. It seems everything was very similar between the two versions except for the new features in CS 2. In perusing Adobe’s web site, CS 4 looks quite different. Would there a big learning curve to move from CS 2 to CS 4, or could I get by with what I know and gradually pick up the new stuff?
You’re asking us to determine your ability to learn a new program. We can’t do that.

I will say that I moved from PS 7.0 to CS4 (skipping the earlier CS versions) with little or no problem. I can’t think of anything that I could do in PS 7.0 that isn’t basically the same in CS4. I did buy a book (Scott Kelby’s) to pick up on some of the added tools and features.

Wait…the "extract filter" in PS 7.0 is missing in CS4. I never did like it, so I don’t miss it.

I kept PS 7.0 in case I ran into something I couldn’t figure out how to do in CS4 without consulting a book or an online tutorial. To the best of my recollection, I’ve never opened PS 7.0 since adding CS4, so that contingency plan was unneeded.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
AM
Andrew Morton
Jul 13, 2009
pixel_a_ted wrote:

Have you checked CS4 will run on your version of OS X?

Andrew
PA
pixel_a_ted
Jul 13, 2009
Tony: I wasn’t so much referring to my learning the new features as much as how different the user interface would be. Your experience is very encouraging. .

Andrew: Good point. I just checked the system requirements and the program should run on my computer (running 10.4.11).

Thanks all.
K
Kabuki
Jul 13, 2009
"pixel_a_ted" wrote in message
Tony: I wasn’t so much referring to my learning the new features as much as how different the user interface would be. Your experience is very encouraging. .

Andrew: Good point. I just checked the system requirements and the program should run on my computer (running 10.4.11).

Thanks all.
I heard a lot of people complain about the display style and window resizing I think it has options to revert to previous interface style not 100% sure of it

I also kept previous versions in case I wanted to go back and do a task quickly and got stuck
never needed it though

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections