Posted By
Nicholas Sherlock
Dec 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

I’m designing an interface for my game in Photoshop. My display engine shows transparency by assigning a specific colour to be "transparent" (In this case, magenta). The problem is that Photoshop is anti-aliasing the edges of the "Interface" with my magenta background (So they aren’t really magenta anymore). How can I force these pixels to be either transparent, or 100% opaque?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

T
tacitr
Dec 12, 2003
The problem is that Photoshop is anti-aliasing the edges of the "Interface" with my magenta background (So they aren’t really magenta anymore).

Turn off anti-aliasing on whatever tools you are using.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Dec 12, 2003
Tacit wrote:
The problem is that Photoshop is anti-aliasing the edges of the "Interface" with my magenta background (So they aren’t really magenta anymore).

Turn off anti-aliasing on whatever tools you are using.

I can’t seem to find the option. Try this:

1. Start a new document
2. Draw a rounded rectangle (and fill it with a colour different from the background).

The pixels on the corner are anti-aliased, and I can’t work out how to stop them (Can’t see any anti-aliasing options – Photoshop 7).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
T
tacitr
Dec 12, 2003
1. Start a new document
2. Draw a rounded rectangle (and fill it with a colour different from the background).

Yep, the Photoshop vector layers are always anti-aliased.

Instead of using the Rectangle tool, make your round-edged box by using the Marquee tool, feathering it, going into Quick Mask, using Image->Adjust->Threshold, and exiting Quick Mask. This will give you a hard-edged round-corner selection with no anti-aliasing. Then fill with the appropriate color.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Dec 12, 2003
Tacit wrote:
1. Start a new document

Instead of using the Rectangle tool, make your round-edged box by using the Marquee tool, feathering it, going into Quick Mask, using Image->Adjust->Threshold, and exiting Quick Mask. This will give you a hard-edged round-corner selection with no anti-aliasing. Then fill with the appropriate color.

Well, that works, but I need to be able to resize and move around my elements easily :). I can get PhotoShop to do what I want by saving the interface as a gif image when I want to publish it (remember, gif image pixels can either be transparent or opaque, but nothing in between).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
S
Stuart
Dec 15, 2003
Have you tried searching for anti-aliasing in the help and see what it comes up with?

Stuart

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

Tacit wrote:

1. Start a new document

Well, that works, but I need to be able to resize and move around my elements easily :). I can get PhotoShop to do what I want by saving the interface as a gif image when I want to publish it (remember, gif image pixels can either be transparent or opaque, but nothing in between).
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections