LL
Posted By
Luke_Lobert
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been running ps 6.0 on my P4 2.4 with 512mb RAM on XP Home. I’ve been running it on this system for about 6 months and everything has been working fine. Then, suddenly, a few days ago it just stopped working. If I try to open it, the ps window will open and it looks like it’s trying to load and then I’ll get an error message saying that it has "encountered a problem and needs to close." I have no idea what is causing this. Has anyone else had problems running ps 6 on XP?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 19, 2004
Luke,
Probably the preferences file got corrupt. Delete it as per these instructions:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/6712.htm>

Rob
LL
Luke_Lobert
May 19, 2004
I held Ctrl+Alt+Shift as photoshop tried to open but nothing happened. Strangely, I couldn’t get Ctrl+Alt+Shift to work with ImageReady either, even though ImageReady opens without any problems. I read about recreating the preferences file in the "Documents and Settings\[user profile]\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\[version]\Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings folder". So, I opened windows explorer and went there, but there was no preferences file in there at all. Now, I’m confused.
DM
dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
you need to set the ability to see hidden files and folders from windows explorer. tools> folder options> view.

then go to the place mentioned in the faq.
LL
Luke_Lobert
May 20, 2004
I already had that set. There are other files in the Adobe Photoshop 6 Settings folder, namely ImageReady Swatches, Styles, Palette Cache, and Plug-in Cache. But no preferences file.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 20, 2004
Do a search for *.PSP files. Delete the one that is clearly Adobe’s PS preferences file. Rob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections