H
Posted By
Husky
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ATI : I just upgraded to the current catalyst. At the same time I had to reinstall the OS and all programs. Meaning resetting all preferences in all areas.
ATI :
ATI : I don’t want to let adobe set up the display. I want the display to be entirely under ATI’s control.
ATI :
ATI : I can’t recall what I did previously to be booting and having the display set correctly. ATI :
ATI : Now I have to boot to a dark desktop, open ATI’s display settings to the color tab to get the correct display gamma.
ATI :
ATI : I have it set to use a default profile that I did create with adobe gamma, but it’s having zero effect.
ATI :
ATI : If I set the adobe loader on startup, the ATI will be out of whack. It’ll assume it’s default boot darkness is still working despite the adobe loader setting things to the correct lighter gamma.
ATI :
ATI : What am I missing on getting ATI to boot and switch to the lighter gamma ?

I posted the above to the ATI NG, but I got zero response. I don’t really think anyone in that group has any info on ATI. ATI’s real tight with support.

I’m just posting it here case someone has a clue as to how I had it set previously where the ATI did all the control instead of adobe gamma.

Blast you pccillin. worst virus in 7 years and it came from the virus cleaner software.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
KatWoman
Apr 26, 2005
I am using the ATI catalyst drivers with an X300 vid card. I do not understand why you do not want adobe gamma to kick in but if you disable the adobe gamma in msconfig, it will not start up and your windows display should be on anyway.
My comp cranks up the ATI first, then the adobe gamma adjusts it. You should check your BIOS/CMOS settings to enable the video correctly. The boot up blackness has nothing to do with adobe gamma.
Adobe gamma is a lot easier to control color, contrasts etc and to share profiles with other apps than the ATI interface.
Why don’t you want to use it?
I have 3d games installed and there are no conflicts with Adobe gamma. Never install any video driver until you disable all virus software.

"Husky" wrote in message
ATI : I just upgraded to the current catalyst. At the same time I had to reinstall the OS and all programs. Meaning resetting all preferences in all areas.
ATI :
ATI : I don’t want to let adobe set up the display. I want the display to be entirely under ATI’s control.
ATI :
ATI : I can’t recall what I did previously to be booting and having the display set correctly.
ATI :
ATI : Now I have to boot to a dark desktop, open ATI’s display settings to the color tab to get the correct display gamma.
ATI :
ATI : I have it set to use a default profile that I did create with adobe gamma, but it’s having zero effect.
ATI :
ATI : If I set the adobe loader on startup, the ATI will be out of whack. It’ll assume it’s default boot darkness is still working despite the adobe loader setting things to the correct lighter gamma. ATI :
ATI : What am I missing on getting ATI to boot and switch to the lighter gamma ?

I posted the above to the ATI NG, but I got zero response. I don’t really think
anyone in that group has any info on ATI. ATI’s real tight with support.
I’m just posting it here case someone has a clue as to how I had it set previously where the ATI did all the control instead of adobe gamma.
Blast you pccillin. worst virus in 7 years and it came from the virus cleaner
software.

K
KatWoman
Apr 26, 2005
forgot to add>
have you used the controls on your monitor, the little buttons on the front??
you can make it brighter there as well.

"Husky" wrote in message
ATI :
ATI :
ATI : I can’t recall what I did previously to be booting and having the display set correctly.
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :
ATI : If I set the adobe loader on startup, the ATI will be out of whack. It’ll assume it’s default boot darkness is still working despite the adobe loader setting things to the correct lighter gamma. ATI :

software.

H
Husky
Apr 26, 2005
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:21:07 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

I am using the ATI catalyst drivers with an X300 vid card. I do not understand why you do not want adobe gamma to kick in but if you disable the adobe gamma in msconfig, it will not start up and your windows display should be on anyway.
See that’s the problem. I know I had the gamma disabled in previous settings cause when I went to resetting things, the old account still had gamma loader.exe in my disabled folder.
Why use the ATI. because the ATI is the video controller. Everything flows thru it. I know I had it set previously. The monitors several years old, but works fine. But it’s adjustments aren’t as wide as ATI’s. Even with full brightness, and contrast, I need to crank the ATI gamma up almost to 3. Previous catalyst gamma went to 2.65.
But until I open the ATI control panel, the gamma doesn’t kick in. Soon as the control panel loads up, the desktop gamma changes to the 2.89 bright setting.

Previously before the 23rd crash, ATI did this gamma adjust automatically without having to open the cp.
I know I’ll be months resetting things, I’m now redoing quicktime. re-installed many programs every day since the 23rd.

My comp cranks up the ATI first, then the adobe gamma adjusts it.
Thing is that you’re not getting the true desktop by using the adobe gamma. You can turn that gamma every which way and images will look different with every setting.

I’ve turned off color manage in all software specifically because of this. Once the ATI does ALL the video adjustments, you have a zero reference point for all other image programs. ie: Thumbsplus and Photoshop both color manage, and neither agrees with the other, but with color manage off in both, it worked great in keeping all images the same in all programs. Since some programs DON’T color manage they depend on the desktop or video settings. Viewing in all programs became the same. Which is what you want. If it looks blue in program xxx, it should also look blue in program yyy, not green or white.

You should check your BIOS/CMOS settings to enable the video correctly. The boot up blackness has nothing to do with adobe gamma.
Adobe gamma is a lot easier to control color, contrasts etc and to share profiles with other apps than the ATI interface.
Why don’t you want to use it?
I have 3d games installed and there are no conflicts with Adobe gamma. Never install any video driver until you disable all virus software.
"Husky" wrote in message
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :

software.

H
Husky
Apr 28, 2005
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:22:09 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

BTDT> I guess I’ll figure it out. I did before.

forgot to add>
have you used the controls on your monitor, the little buttons on the front??
you can make it brighter there as well.

"Husky" wrote in message
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :
ATI :

software.

B
Brian
Apr 28, 2005
Husky wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:22:09 -0400, "KatWoman"
<snip>
software.

Really? I am surprised, I use PCCillin and have found it to be terrific. I have had several viruses land on my system and PCCillin has captured and quarantined them beautifully.
I guess it goes to show that nothing is foolproof. I may have just been lucky so far.

Regards,
Brian.
H
Hecate
Apr 28, 2005
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:41:18 +1000, Brian
wrote:

Husky wrote:
<snip>
software.

Really? I am surprised, I use PCCillin and have found it to be terrific. I have had several viruses land on my system and PCCillin has captured and quarantined them beautifully.
I guess it goes to show that nothing is foolproof. I may have just been lucky so far.

Regards,
Brian.

It’s pretty good, but the best solution around as far as AV goes.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
H
Hecate
Apr 29, 2005
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:53:48 +0100, Hecate wrote:

wrote:

Husky wrote:
<snip>
software.

Regards,
Brian.

That should have read: *not* the best solution…

Hecate – The Real One

B
Brian
Apr 30, 2005
Hecate wrote:

wrote:

Husky wrote:

<snip>

software.

Regards,
Brian.

Hecate – The Real One

Now that is not the usual – detailed, thorough response you provide. If it is not the best solution, then please tell me what is (pls). What I like about it is the fact that it updates on a daily basis (usually several times) so that it is always as up-to-date as possible.

Brian.
K
KatWoman
Apr 30, 2005
I hated PC Cillin it slows down your whole comp. Very intrusive. Norton is a system resource hog too.
My suggestion for AV is ESET-NOD, excellent Russian program, updates in background as often as you choose (every hour). Never had a virus get through it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eset

"Brian" wrote in message
Hecate wrote:

wrote:

Husky wrote:

<snip>

software.

Regards,
Brian.

Hecate – The Real One

Now that is not the usual – detailed, thorough response you provide. If it is not the best solution, then please tell me what is (pls). What I like about it is the fact that it updates on a daily basis (usually several times) so that it is always as up-to-date as possible.

Brian.
H
Husky
Apr 30, 2005
On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:32:44 +1000, Brian wrote:

Even though this entire topic is so far out in left field, and Trend did screw up everyone using XP on the 23rd that got the hourly updates, I’ll renew when it comes time again.

I’ve tried the rest. Trend is the best.

H
Hecate
Apr 30, 2005
On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:32:44 +1000, Brian
wrote:

If you check out the Virus Bulletin site you’ll see that PCCillin doesn’t perform the best. The best AV solution with 30 straight times detecting 100% of the viruses/Trojans/worms they throw at it is NOD32. Recently, Norton has been getting 100% too, but I think the hooks it puts into the system causes far too many problems.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Apr 30, 2005
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:41:47 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

I hated PC Cillin it slows down your whole comp. Very intrusive. Norton is a system resource hog too.
My suggestion for AV is ESET-NOD, excellent Russian program, updates in background as often as you choose (every hour). Never had a virus get through it yet.
Which is what I just recommended to him 😉

NOD32 is easily the best and hardly consumes any resources. We used to use Norton in the past and after dumping it and installing NOD we found a (timed) average 3% booting up, opening apps and so forth.

We pair it with Outpost firewall, Tauscan Trojan scanner and Spysweeper. They all play well together and don’t screw your system or eat too much of it’s resources.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Apr 30, 2005
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:44:38 -0400, Husky wrote:

On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:32:44 +1000, Brian wrote:

Even though this entire topic is so far out in left field, and Trend did screw up everyone using XP on the 23rd that got the hourly updates, I’ll renew when it comes time again.

I’ve tried the rest. Trend is the best.

Have you looked at it’s scores on the Virus Bulletin web site? 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections