LH
Posted By
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Look, this is not a spurious problem. I opened a Topic "PDF Presentation Problem" with no answers. After doing a complete rename of my files in a specific folder, Starting with a name and a serial number, the Browser still organizises the files according to the original system! Originally, the first file is called "Front Entrance 1" The second was named "Bedroom". Now, Front Entrance 1 is Papworth 1, and the Bedroom shot is Papworth 10.

When I go to the PDF presentation, the list starts with Papworth 1, then Papworth 10, not Papworth 2.

This is obscene!

I am using CS on W2K. I did a reset prefs with no change in behavior.

PS: The Spell Check isn’t working.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
10 always follows 1 in file names. Right after that comes 100. If you want it to go 1-10 you’ll need to rename then 01, 02, etc.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 1, 2004
That’s right Bob, and is why the progress didn’t work the second time around! I came back to set that matter straight. The wierd part is that the same two images wound up in position 1 and 2 because the second image relabelled as image 10! That threw me off. Had another one appeared at position 2 labelled 10, the lightbulb would have gone off!
Da! (is there an emoticon for batting the side of one’s head?)

It still doesn’t explain why I cannot re-assemble them in a visual order under Custom and have the Browser accept that. There is no requirement under Help that shows alpha-numerical rules the assembly.

Thanks for reminding me.
RS
Robert_Shomler
Jul 2, 2004
How do you invoke the PDF presentation process? Do you start it in the file browser or from File -> Automate menu? It may be that sequence is only honored if pdf presentation is started within the browser.

I regularly create pdf slide shows with the image files put in the pdf in the same sequence I have arranged them in the browser. I do this within the browser: from the file browser menu — Automate -> PDF Presentation.

FWIW, the CS users guide (p315) says that the image file sequence can be reordered by selecting a file and dragging it to a new position in the source file list (list of files in the source window of the pdf presentation process).
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 2, 2004
I started the same way, Robert. And yes, I know I can re sequence in the pdf window, but some of the titles are generic, and without visuals, I can’t reorder them.

I did a second slide show from a different file, and this time, as I re named the file, it re ordered itself properly. When I went back to the first show and introduced a 0 before the 1,2,3 etc, it also re ordered properly.

I have the first show in a separate, unflattened version, visually ordered. I am going to re try this again and see what gives. I am also going to pick images at random from still another folder and see what happens.

The Browser seems to be hell bent for leather to order things it’s way! What I want and was led to believe is the Browser is a super light table. No light table ever re-arranged a show on me.

I searched for "Custom" in Help, for the Browser, and came up empty.

The protocol requiring one to introduce a 0 (or more) before the integer is perplexing, and can be a problem. (How many zeros will you need?) Since this doesn’t come from number theory, I am at a loss to understand the logic, except perhaps it makes the programming easier (and the use harder).
RS
Robert_Shomler
Jul 4, 2004
OT but perhaps interesting; Re protocol requiring one to introduce leading 0s to ensure correct numeric sequencing is at least as old as punch card business machines that operated using fixed field sizes — number of card columns. There were special "leading zero suppression" schemes designed for punch card interpretation and printing so that a field on the card such as 00015, that designated 15 dollars, would print as $15 rather than $00015 as it had to be punched in the the card columns. You can find a modern evolution of this in word processor tab to left (usual) right or decimal point settings.

In variable width fields unless there’s a right-to-left type of attribute associated with the field sorting, conventional sequencing almost always works from left to right one digit or character at a time.

So for "How many zeros will you need?" — as many as maximum length "number" you will be using; for example, two leading zeros if your numbers will exceed 99 and not exceed 999.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections