MB
Posted By
Michael_Bailey
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I try to transfer files, either over a network or via a portable hard drive, the file browser behaves unpredictably. On the new computer, the thumbnails sometimes pop right up perfectly, other times the new computer needs to re-write all the xmp information and then redraw all the previews. Sometimes the pictures I had turned to vertical come in on their side, sometimes not. Sometimes the file will open up with the correct appearance, but the thumbnail will look like it’s in "camera default".

Example: I just moved a folder full of raw files and updated cache info from a storage hard drive to my main drive on the PC. The new thumbnails now have no ranking info, they are all in horizontal orientation, and the exposure settings for some, but not all, of them looks out of date.

I’m using the CS File Browser with Fuji S-2 raw files on a G-4 iBook (640 MB ram) and a PC with Windows XP (1 GB ram). (The problem happens on the Mac iBook as well.)

I always run "export cache" after I’ve first adjusted the settings on a batch of files, and I have the preferences set to keep the "sidecar" files with the master files. I know that the three little data files the "export" commands creates are getting transferred to the new location.

Anyway, I’m really confused about this. I feel like I have read as much as the manual tells me, but the whole issue of xmp, cache, sidecar, iptc is just awfully confusing.

Is it me or is it the program?

Thanks, MB

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Aug 26, 2004
If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server. This applies to images on CDs or other removable media.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work.

Adobe’s point is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no interest in troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, don’t complain about it here. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
J
jonf
Aug 26, 2004
It seems in this case that he may not be using the network improperly. If I understand him correctly, the problem is occuring after he’s moved the files off the network or external media to his local drive. I think the question is why don’t the previews stay the way he saved them on the previous drive, after he transfers them using a network or removable medium.

I expect someone with better technical expertise than me can answer his question better. I think the preview preferences for the FB are saved in the preferences of the original computer from which they were viewed, and aren’t part of the file itself. So transfering the files wouldn’t move any of that info from one disk to another. Is that correct?
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 26, 2004
–>I think the preview preferences for the FB are saved in the preferences of the original computer from which they were viewed, and aren’t part of the file itself.

If he exports the cache files (for each folder), it should I believe work.
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2004
My mistake. I was thrown off by the reference to PC and Powerbook and erroneously assumed he was saving the files over the network from one to the other.
MB
Michael_Bailey
Aug 27, 2004
Thanks for your replies so far. Yes, Ramon, the network statement I made was a bit of a red herring.

Here’s a better example: I just shot some pictures about two hours ago. Following my routine, I put the raw files into a new folder on the desktop of my iBook, then into a duplicate folder on my portable firewire hard drive. In the file browser I can look at the folders panel and toggle between the two folders that contain duplicate photos. I let one folder sit open for a while, letting it soak in and appreciate all the wonderful photographic data I am feeding it. When done, I do the "export cache" dance and move to the other folder on the other hard drive and do the same wait-and-export.

Now, I believe at this point I should be able to toggle between the folders and see them each pop up within a few seconds. But instead the file browser acts like it never heard of me or my splendid pictures. It starts loading thumbnails and metadata from scratch.

Is it jealous? Something I said? MB
H
Hexebah
Aug 27, 2004
Have you tried exporting the cache before duplicating the folder and contents? It would seem like extra work to have to do it twice? I may be missing something though 😉

Chip
KN
konstantin_nsk
Sep 2, 2004
Very interesting thing: Adobe Versions Cue can but Adobe Photoshop can not. For Versions Cue a many variables of many network configiration are not problem. But it’s problem for Photoshop. In other hand: If it’s possible for one application why do not for another?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections