L
Posted By
Leo
Jul 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I use poser a lot, but that’s not what i’m here for. I have a B&W image, a template if you will, and it contains just Black and White wires and spaces, resp. No grays. What I need to do is create a grayscale image based on the proximity of the wire to each other that I can color over.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanx!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Rowley
Jul 3, 2006
Hmm…. Not sure what you mean by ‘grayscale image….’, but I can tell you a little about how I handle UV map templates (FYI, there is a really good poser newsgroup alt.binaries.3d.poser – lots of participants)

Most times to get the base template, I use UVMapper and it saves the template image file as a BMP image. I open that up in PS and then change the mode to RGB. Right after that I add a empty layer and save. By adding the layer it makes PS default and save the file as a PSD. I then make the base background layer active and using the magic wand tool – I select the white space outside all the mapped areas. I then invert the selection and make the blank layer active. I then choose some color (green most times) and fill in the selection area, which should be just the mapped parts. After that, I usually break each individual part out to it’s own layer by using the selection marquee tool and adding / subtracting as needed – then doing new layer via cut
(suggestion, be sure to label the layers).

Then after I get the parts separated on different layers, I save (as PSD) and then paint over the shapes as needed.

When I get everything painted and ‘done’ – I save the file as a PSD (don’t flatten the layers) and then save it as a copy in JPG format. I use the JPG for my color / bump map and keep the PSD as the master, just in case I want to edit it later.

Advanced tip: when I first create the main selection and then invert it, I usually expand the selection area by a couple of pixels – just to make sure no seams show up.

Hoped that helped – if not, try asking your question over on the Poser ng – my guess is someone there might have a better idea than me.

Martin

FotoLeon wrote:
Hi. I use poser a lot, but that’s not what i’m here for. I have a B&W image, a template if you will, and it contains just Black and White wires and spaces, resp. No grays. What I need to do is create a grayscale image based on the proximity of the wire to each other that I can color over.

L
Leo
Jul 5, 2006
Thank you for your advice. What i am trying to do is make a sort of grayscale image that corsponds to the _proximity of wires to each other_, ie the closer the wires, the darker that set of pixels. I may still post at alt.binaries.3d.poser. Thank You!
Rowley wrote:
Hmm…. Not sure what you mean by ‘grayscale image….’, but I can tell you a little about how I handle UV map templates (FYI, there is a really good poser newsgroup alt.binaries.3d.poser – lots of participants)

Most times to get the base template, I use UVMapper and it saves the template image file as a BMP image. I open that up in PS and then change the mode to RGB. Right after that I add a empty layer and save. By adding the layer it makes PS default and save the file as a PSD. I then make the base background layer active and using the magic wand tool – I select the white space outside all the mapped areas. I then invert the selection and make the blank layer active. I then choose some color (green most times) and fill in the selection area, which should be just the mapped parts. After that, I usually break each individual part out to it’s own layer by using the selection marquee tool and adding / subtracting as needed – then doing new layer via cut
(suggestion, be sure to label the layers).

Then after I get the parts separated on different layers, I save (as PSD) and then paint over the shapes as needed.

When I get everything painted and ‘done’ – I save the file as a PSD (don’t flatten the layers) and then save it as a copy in JPG format. I use the JPG for my color / bump map and keep the PSD as the master, just in case I want to edit it later.

Advanced tip: when I first create the main selection and then invert it, I usually expand the selection area by a couple of pixels – just to make sure no seams show up.

Hoped that helped – if not, try asking your question over on the Poser ng – my guess is someone there might have a better idea than me.

Martin

FotoLeon wrote:

R
Rowley
Jul 5, 2006
Why would you want to do something that? Just curious.

Martin

FotoLeon wrote:
Thank you for your advice. What i am trying to do is make a sort of grayscale image that corsponds to the _proximity of wires to each other_, ie the closer the wires, the darker that set of pixels. I may still post at alt.binaries.3d.poser. Thank You!
L
Leo
Jul 7, 2006
I want to manualy paint and create a face based an a poser-generated template for an online blog. I like to make renders in poser then make them look halftone and add text. A sort of "modern comic". And i need them to look _somewhat_ realistic, at least so people can recognize the political figures…. Know any good bush textures? i have front pixtures, i just need side pictures…

Rowley wrote:

Martin

FotoLeon wrote:
R
Rowley
Jul 7, 2006
Hmm… ok, not really picturing the technique you’re using with the proximity of the vertexs to one another.

But couple suggestions –

1) visit the poser newsgroup I mentioned, there are a couple people there that I’ve seen working on customizing poser figures into ‘real’ people using a combination of morphs and texture maps.

2) You might check out the magazine ‘ImagineFX’ –
http://marketing.futurenet.com/imaginefx/

It’s an import from the UK and you can usually find a copy of it in most big chain bookstores – Borders, B&N, BookStop and such. It’s a fairly new magazine, I just picked up the 5th issue of it today (keep in mind that the issues here run about a month behind their UK release). The focus of the magazine is Fantasy & Sci-Fi digital art, and most of it concerns creation of
characters – but the same techniques would apply to what you are doing. There are lots of articles by some really talented artists.

The magazine runs around $14, and it’s full of tutorials and also comes with a cover DVD. The issue I just picked up has three poser figures – the Project Human Male & Female characters (which looked to be very detailed & customizable) and a fantasy troll character by Sixus1. Also on the DVD are a bunch of stock photos suitable for backgrounds and a directory full of
Photoshop brushes and a number of interesting looking fonts. I haven’t had a chance yet to load the brushes and check them out.

Anyway – just a suggestion.

Martin

FotoLeon wrote:
I want to manualy paint and create a face based an a poser-generated template for an online blog. I like to make renders in poser then make them look halftone and add text. A sort of "modern comic". And i need them to look _somewhat_ realistic, at least so people can recognize the political figures…. Know any good bush textures? i have front pixtures, i just need side pictures…

Rowley wrote:

Martin

FotoLeon wrote:

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections