S
Posted By
sales
Feb 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I saw a question posted earlier about how different programs save Raw settings. But no one posted an answer. I also was wondering how to save raw settings, and use them between different applications.

I have been using both Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom Beta 4, but they do not share the same raw settings. Any way to do this. Also is there a way to do in in the raw file itself?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Feb 19, 2007
wrote:

I saw a question posted earlier about how different programs save Raw settings. But no one posted an answer. I also was wondering how to save raw settings, and use them between different applications.
I have been using both Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom Beta 4, but they do not share the same raw settings.

Camera RAW 3.7 (updated today) and Lightroom 1.0 do.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
K
Koenraad
Feb 19, 2007
schreef in bericht
I have been using both Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom Beta 4, but they do not share the same raw settings. Any way to do this. Also is there a way to do in in the raw file itself?

The raw-file itself always remains untouched, which is the forte of this kind of correction. Any correction can simply be undone by just removing the corrections file which is made.

Standard it is saves alongside your pictures, but in some cases yu have to look for it elsewhere.

Most programs use different correction files, so they will not be shared. Maybe Photoshop and LE will share the same files.

Rutger

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/sets
BP
Barry Pearson
Feb 19, 2007
On Feb 19, 4:03 pm, "Rutger" wrote:
[snip]
The raw-file itself always remains untouched, which is the forte of this kind of correction. Any correction can simply be undone by just removing the corrections file which is made.
[snip]

Unless it is a DNG raw file, in the case of Adobe products. Other products alter other types of raw files.

Several products update raw files. Raw files are not sacrosanct. They do not resemble digital negatives. The files themselves are containers. It is the raw image data within raw files that should not be messed with.

Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/
S
sales
Feb 19, 2007
The problem I find myself having with the sideca file is:

When Lightroom beta came out, I tried using it to make overall corrections, then use photosop for touchups. In the process, sometimes they would get side car files, but then later on after batch renaming, sorting and moving files, the sidecar files get lost. Would converting the Canon Raw files into Adobe DNG do away with the sidecar files?

schreef in bericht

Standard it is saves alongside your pictures, but in some cases yu have to look for it elsewhere.

Most programs use different correction files, so they will not be shared. Maybe Photoshop and LE will share the same files.

Rutger
K
Koenraad
Feb 19, 2007
"Barry Pearson" schreef in bericht
On Feb 19, 4:03 pm, "Rutger" wrote:
[snip]
The raw-file itself always remains untouched, which is the forte of this kind of correction. Any correction can simply be undone by just removing the
corrections file which is made.
[snip]

Unless it is a DNG raw file, in the case of Adobe products. Other products alter other types of raw files.

Where did you find tis information?
It is completele opposed tot whatever i have read about whatever kind of RAW.

Several products update raw files. Raw files are not sacrosanct. They do not resemble digital negatives. The files themselves are containers. It is the raw image data within raw files that should not be messed with.

Please state your sources.

Rutger

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/sets
BP
Barry Pearson
Feb 19, 2007
On Feb 19, 7:29 pm, "Rutger" wrote:
"Barry Pearson" schreef in bericht
[snip]

Where did you find tis information?
It is completele opposed tot whatever i have read about whatever kind of RAW.
[snip]

It is well known that Adobe products update DNG raw files (whether from a camera or the results of a conversion). If you have trouble believing that, I suggest you try opening a DNG that has been edited with ACR using MS Word (!) – you will find the new data in the form of XMP near the start of the file! (I use other tools).

It is well known that Nikon products can update NEF files. Try editing a NEF with Capture or NX and check the last-amended date and also see that the changes get carried forward to other software via the NEF. I think (I’m not sure) that DPP can update CR2 files. Fujifilm provide software (HyperUtility) that compresses RAFs. Other products & tools update metadata within raw files. There are currently problems with MS & Nikon products changing NEFs and causing problems for 3rd-party software.

The myth that raw files don’t get changed is past its use-by date!

Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections