PD
Posted By
Peter Detheridge
Jul 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I previously sent this but forgot to to indicate I am using PS7 on PC.

I am not understanding colour workspaces. Especially RGB setup. In some graphics applications you can define a work flow from scanner to monitor to printer each may have their own ICC profile. In Photoshop 7 I get to to pick one for everything it seems.

I scan most of my images with HP Scanjet 3C (has specific ICC profile) and print on HP5550 (HP recommends the device independent sRGB profile). Should I set RGB profile to suit my scanner or to the device independent sRGB?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TT
Tom Thackrey
Jul 20, 2003
On 19-Jul-2003, "Peter Detheridge" wrote:

I previously sent this but forgot to to indicate I am using PS7 on PC.
I am not understanding colour workspaces. Especially RGB setup. In some graphics applications you can define a work flow from scanner to monitor to
printer each may have their own ICC profile. In Photoshop 7 I get to to pick one for everything it seems.

I scan most of my images with HP Scanjet 3C (has specific ICC profile) and print on HP5550 (HP recommends the device independent sRGB profile). Should
I set RGB profile to suit my scanner or to the device independent sRGB?

Workspaces are different from color profiles. The ICC profile is device/paper/ink dependent and is used to attempt to render accurate colors on that device. The color workspace is a device independent mapping of the pixel values in the image file to specific colors. AdobeRGB, for example, has a bigger color space than sRGB, that means that you can represent a wider range of colors with the AdobeRGB workspace. (Bigger is not always better because a given printer may not be able to render all the colors in a particular color space.

I suggest further reading:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm
http://www.outbackphoto.com/color_management/cm_01/essay.htm l

Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections